Visual Designer - Position Information
- Vancouver, Canada
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Reporting to the Creative Director and the Director of Marketing, the Visual Designer will be responsible for developing creative for print, digital, and environmental design projects.
The Visual Designer must:
- Have a sharp sense of design and is passionate about their work.
- Be self-motivated.
- Be up-to-date with current design trends/platforms.
- Think outside the box.
- Excel at personal time management.
- Value communication and team culture.
- Be reliable and do what it takes to meet deadlines.
- Be able to take direction from others.
- Be open minded and enjoy a challenge.
- Be able to work independently and as a team.
- Enjoy a fast paced environment.
- Be a creative problem solver.
Please note: The start date for this position is January 2, 2018 and this is a full-time hourly 6 months contract position. All applicants must include a link to their portfolio.
- Develop concepts to final production files for various print and digital materials including: campaign collateral, Google display ads, social media, internal communication collateral, PowerPoint/Prezi presentations, digital and print advertisements, motion design, video editing, email and video graphics.
- Meet all brand, timing, budget and other project objectives for digital and print design requests.
- Demonstrate experience with User Experience/User Interface.
- Proactively seek answers from colleagues and clients to keep the job on schedule.
- Prepare artwork files to be sent to printers, vendors and agency partners.
- Maintain a consistent brand tone and graphic standard across all materials.
- Elevate the brand with every creative project. Never relying on "That's the way it was done in the past".
- Maintain up-to-date proficiency in professional design applications and technology related to all aspects of digital and print design and printing.
- Other duties as assigned by the Creative Director and the Director of Marketing.
- Degree or diploma in graphic design, motion design, digital media, web design and other relevant experience.
- Have an online portfolio of work demonstrating successful visual/graphic design solutions, in print and digital.
- Superior knowledge of industry design software and tools including Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Keynote).
- Commanding knowledge of social media platforms.
- Excellent knowledge of graphic design principles, digital design principles and web standards.
- Understanding of responsive website design best practices.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint.
- Experience working with content management systems an asset.
- Project tracking, and time management experience.
- Motion design and video editing considered a strong asset.
- Photography and illustration skills to augment design skills are an asset.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure.
- A collaborative team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.