Find a Roommate
This service is designed to help you to connect with other upcoming, current, and graduate students of VFS, to arrange shared accommodation.
VFS shall bear no liability for any risks associated with transactions that occur through the Roommate Board.
Each user of the Roommate Board bears full responsibility for determining the suitability of other users’ accommodation offers.
Although VFS screens accommodation postings to filter out questionable offers, it is important for students to be alert and take appropriate precautions.
Use caution and vigilance when dealing with prospective landlords as there are many scammers targeting renters in Vancouver. Please read through How to spot a scam for steps you can take to protect yourself before you start contacting prospective landlords or roommates through the Roommate Board.
- Never send money to a location outside of Vancouver
- If possible, you, or a friend, should physically view the property
- Make sure there is a physical address and check it on a map
- Make sure that you have all details of the individual providing the listing: where they work, full name, address, phone number, etc.
- Always ensure that you are going to be able to meet the landlord or manager of the property in person to receive the keys and inspect the apartment together
- Note that SIN, bank account, and credit card number are not required to rent an apartment
- When you receive a contract, please read the full text (and the fine print) carefully and be sure you understand it fully before you sign. VFS is not responsible for terms and conditions imposed by third-party services.
- Follow your instincts. Anything that seems too good to be true, probably is — and may be a scam.
- If you have any doubts or are unsure as to whether a posting is legitimate, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Housing Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
In Vancouver Film School we aspire to help our students find a home away from home. Renting in Vancouver is expensive; however, we aim to provide convenient accommodation that makes it easier for you to focus on your academic and personal growth at VFS.
Our Housing Coordinator has well-established connections with landlords in Vancouver and will help you find accommodation that best meets your needs and budget. Whether you want to rent your own apartment, share with roommates or live in a Homestay, we have excellent options for you to choose from.
If you have any questions in regards to housing, please contact our Housing Coordinator, Vincent Franklin:
Rental costs in Vancouver vary depending on the location, size, and condition of the apartment or house. Rent starts on the 1st day of the month. Apartments are normally rented unfurnished. A stove and fridge are standard fixtures. Your rent will typically include heat and hot water. Often, there are extra fees for: Electricity, Internet, TV and Phone Service.
Can I find accommodation close to campus?
There are many housing options in Vancouver. You can find accommodation within walking distance of VFS or within a 30 minute bus or SkyTrain ride to your campus. Be sure to check the TransLink website for the most up-to-date transit schedules. www.translink.ca.
|Shared with roommates||$650+|
Prices are based on rough estimates only. They are subject to change and cannot be guaranteed. Estimated costs reflect the averages of rental in the Greater Vancouver area. They do not exclusively represent average prices of downtown Vancouver.
You must first be granted full acceptance by Vancouver Film School to apply for housing. VFS Housing Department start contacting students 2 months prior to their start date. Once you receive the housing email inquiry from us, please let us know whether you need housing right away.
- Email us at email@example.com
- $350 Housing Fee Payment through credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express), wire transfer, or direct transfer to your VFS account.
- A housing consultation.
- 3 to 4 housing options supplied including photos of the places we offer you.
- Information on housing regulations.
- Representation—VFS Housing staff will work with the Landlord and supply the Landlord with all the necessary documentation and information.
- Tenancy and/or Lease Agreement exchange support.
- Receipt and delivery your security deposit and first month’s rent to secure your accommodation (should you choose to pay through us).
- Coordination for move in.
We will start emailing options to applicants approximately 4 weeks prior to the start date. You will receive a housing-offer email with a deadline to confirm. If you like the place, please try to confirm as soon as you can. Once approved by the landlord you will be sent an email with payment for the first month rent and security deposit.
- Roommates (if applicable)
- Rent amount
- Lease start date
- Landlord’s application (if applicable): unit number, rent, lease start date
VFS Housing does not provide pre-accommodation services. Students are required to make their own arrangements upon arrival to Vancouver, and prior to the start of their tenancy date. Keep in mind that there are many events that happen throughout the year in Vancouver, and accommodation can get booked up fairly quickly. We recommend students book accommodation as soon as they know when they will arrive in Vancouver, and for the duration before their tenancy date begins.
If you require housing, please let us know as soon as you can. Please note that Housing Service is subject to availability.
Homestay is a type of accommodation that allows students to live with a local family during their studies at VFS. Students can choose between a private or shared rooms with access to Internet, laundry, kitchen and TV. In addition, meals are included. Homestay families are a great way to experience culture and adjust to a local way of life.
- Meet Vancouverites and experience local culture first-hand.
- Share a meal with your hosts and taste authentic Canadian cuisine.
- Receive the true value for money by having accommodation and meal options.
- Improve your language skills.
- Enjoy a real ‘home away from home’ experience.