Vancouver Film School (VFS) and The Graphic Designers of Canada (GDC) are pleased to announce a special memorial scholarship established to celebrate the principle of education-through-mentorship that Maria Kennedy embodied. Throughout her career as a professional art director, designer, and creative director, and in her years as a teacher and mentor at VFS, Maria left behind a legacy that will resonate in the lives of those she nurtured forever.
Each year, one $5,000 scholarship will be awarded from 2017-2019 to a new student enrolling in the Digital Design program. In addition, the recipient will receive a one-year Student Membership to the GDC during their year of study, as well as a one-year Professional Membership after graduation.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The first scholarship will be open to applicants starting January 1, 2017.
- Deadline to submit is April 15, 2017.
- The recipient’s name will be announced in May 2017 at the Salazar Awards for Excellence in Student Design.
- It is open to Canadian Citizen (and PR status) students registering to commence the Digital Design program in September 2017 or in January or May 2018.
- Two additional scholarships will be announced in May 2018 and May 2019 following a similar application process.
The successful candidate will be a creative person who demonstrates a strong portfolio of Branding and Identity concepts, with a desire to learn and apply storytelling, problem-solving, design thinking, UX and UI design, and motion graphics principles to better their work, take their career in a new direction, and contribute to the VFS Digital Design program and to the design industry.
For those interested, please visit our application page for more information.
This opportunity is only available for a limited time, so be sure to get your application in as soon as possible.