Applying is easy, but you must include the following:
- A completed application form.
- A clear copy of a government-issued photo ID indicating your date of birth and legal name.
- Two letters of recommendation that include the contact information for your references. References should include comments on your creative ability, work ethic, ability to take criticism, ability to work in a team environment, and previous accomplishments.
- A resume detailing your work history and education.
- Transcripts from any institution you attended within the past five years (copies will suffice).
- Completed questionnaire.
- An open letter (500-750 words) addressed to the FIC Monterrey + VFS Scholarship Committee explaining why you feel you deserve to win this scholarship. Outline exactly how you intend to leverage this scholarship towards your career in the entertainment industry.
Explain why you believe you can be successful in the industry and your plan on achieving success if you receive the scholarship.
- Acceptable proof of your proficiency in English (if English is not your native language), which can include any of the following:
(Consider they are valid for only 2 years.)
- TOEFL score of 550 (213 Computer-Based Test)
- TOEIC score of 785
- IELTS Band 6.5
- LPI Level 5
- FCE Cambridge "First Certificate in English" Level B2
- VEC (Vancouver English Centre) Articulation Agreement Level 12
- Transcripts from an English-speaking high school or an accredited English-speaking post-secondary institution
- Duolingo English test score of 105 or higher
- IB English score of 5 or higher
- A 6- to 10-page script, written in English, with 3 to 7 speaking characters. A 5- to 7-page outline for a short film is also acceptable.
All these documents cannot exceed 1MB.
Considerations to apply for the scholarship
- The deadline to apply is October 31, 2019. Late submissions or incomplete applications will not be received.
- If selected, the student must cover their flight, accommodation, meals and international insurance (assess approximate cost of living in Canada).
- The selected winners will need to send their portfolio required by VFS for the program selected.
Applications will be accepted until: October 31, 2019, at 8 p.m. The winner will be announced on November 15, 2019.
- The 2019 FIC Monterrey + VFS Scholarship applies only to the Writing for Film, Television & Games at VFS and cannot be applied to any other VFS program.
- Applicants who have already been accepted into a VFS program can apply for this scholarship; however, this scholarship must be used singularly and cannot be used in combination with any other bursary or scholarship already received. Previous applicants must re-submit their application with a completed scholarship application form.
- Applicants must be at least 19 years old or have graduated from high school.
- Employees and contractors of scholarship providers, media partners, and members of the scholarship selection committee and their spouses or immediate family members are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- To be eligible, applications must be submitted to VFS by no later than October 31, 2019. Scholarships will only be applicable for May and August 2020 start dates. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Any materials supplied with the application will not be returned.
- Scholarships will be awarded based on the applicant’s talent, creativity, discipline, and focus, as well as the selection criteria outlined for this scholarship, and the applicant must meet all admissions requirements. The judging committee will consist of faculty and representatives from VFS and FIC Monterrey, as well as scholarship providers. The decision of the judging committee is final.
- This scholarship will cover tuition and standard program supplies. The scholarship recipient is responsible for all additional costs necessary to complete the program of study (including remaining tuition, housing, transportation, food, and incidentals). If the winner cannot commit to attending VFS for any reason within two weeks of being notified that he or she has been selected to receive a scholarship, another scholarship winner will be chosen.
- Applicants must be able to attend VFS by no later than August 2020.
- Applications will be accepted until October 31, 2019.
- The winning recipient will be required to maintain a weekly blog that captures and illustrates his or her experience in attending the VFS Writing for Film, Television & Games program. All setup and hosting costs will be covered by VFS.
Vancouver Film School reserves the right to cancel this competition at any time, at its sole discretion, in the event of any administrative conflict or error. Vancouver Film School reserves the right to modify the rules of this contest in any way or at any time as long as reasonable notice is given. This competition is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable Federal, Provincial, State, and local laws and regulations.
Acceptance of a scholarship allows Vancouver Film School to use your name, photograph or likeness and testimonials in print, broadcast or online media in perpetuity, in any manner in which VFS may deem appropriate in connection with promoting this competition or any other competition or promotion sponsored by VFS, without further compensation.
By participating in this competition, you agree that Vancouver Film School, members of the Selection Committee and those involved in the development, production, implementation and distribution of this competition and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, service providers, and agencies and their directors, officers, agents, employees, attorneys, and any other person or entity associated with such entities and/or this compassion (hereafter collectively called the “Sponsors”) are not liable for any claims, damages, losses or injuries, including third party claims, arising from or relating to, in whole or in part, this competition, including your entry and participation in this competition, the submission of your application package, the evaluation of your application package, acceptance, use or misuse of the scholarship or any injury to you or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from downloading or receiving via return e-mail any part of this competition information.
You further agree that you will not hold Vancouver Film School, their affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, agents, employees, attorneys, and any other person or entity associated with Vancouver Film School liable for any claims, losses, damages or injuries, arising from or relating to their use of your name or address for mailing and any other promotional materials. You also agree that in the event of any third party claims, damages, losses or injuries arising from or relating to this competition, you will indemnify Sponsors from any and all such claims, including the attorney’s fees related thereto. Sponsors shall not be liable for applications that are delayed, lost, misdirected, miss- delivered, marked postage-due, illegible, mutilated, incorrect or incomplete and such entries will not be eligible for this competition.
This scholarship has no cash value.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to apply to VFS. The amount of effort demonstrated in submitting this application tells us that you are dedicated. We wish you the best of luck in pursuing the 2019 FIC Monterrey + VFS Latin America Writing for Film, Television & Games Scholarship!