Writing for Film, Television & Games
Study Writing for Film, Television & Games in Vancouver, Canada!
Vancouver Film School (VFS) and Monterrey International Film Festival (FIC Monterrey) have partnered to offer Latin America students a chance to earn a full-tuition scholarship to study Writing for Film, Television & Games at VFS.
Applications will be accepted until: 15:00 (PST) October 15, 2018.
The winner will be announced: October 30, 2018.
Vancouver Film School
Recognized internationally for its unique and effective education model, VFS offers intensive one-year programs focused on the entertainment and creative arts. Recently ranked as the No. 1 Animation School in Canada, VFS is also ranked No. 2 in the World for programs focused on the entertainment and creative arts. Recently ranked as the No. 1 Animation School in Canada, VFS is also ranked No. 2 in the World.
Founded in 2005, the Monterrey International Film Festival has managed to place the city of Monterrey on the film festival map as a top cultural and commercial attraction. In its first twelve editions, FIC Monterrey has been attended by 200,000 spectators who watched over 2,000 films representing the work of 2175 film directors. The Cabrito de Plata, official Festival award, is now in 36 countries.
Thanks for your interest in applying for this unique opportunity to win a full-tuition scholarship to the Writing for Film + Games program at VFS.
Applying is easy, but you must include the following:
- A completed application form.
- A clear copy of a government-issued photo ID indicating your date of birth and legal name.
- Two letters of recommendation that include the contact information for your references. References should include comments on your creative ability, work ethic, ability to take criticism, ability to work in a team environment, and previous accomplishments.
- A resume detailing your work history and education.
- Transcripts from any institution you attended within the past five years (copies will suffice).
- Completed questionnaire (see page 5).
- An open letter (500 - 750 words) addressed to the FIC Monterrey + VFS Scholarship Committee explaining why you feel you deserve to win this scholarship. Outline exactly how you intend to leverage this scholarship towards
your career in the entertainment industry.
Explain why you believe you can be successful in the industry and your plan on achieving success if you receive the scholarship.
- Acceptable proof of your proficiency in English (if English is not your native language), which can include any of the following:
- TOEFL score of 550 (213 Computer-Based Test)
- TOEIC score of 785
- IELTS Band 6.5
- LPI Level 5
- FCE Cambridge "First Certificate in English" Level B2
- VEC (Vancouver English Centre) Articulation Agreement Level 12
- Transcripts from an English-speaking high school or an accredited English-speaking post-secondary institution
- Duolingo English test score of 61 or higher
- IB English score of 5 or higher
- Pearson Test of English score of 58 or higher
- A 6 to 10-page script, written in English, with 3 to 7 speaking characters. A 5 to 7-page outline for a short film is also acceptable.
All these documents cannot exceed 1MB.
- The 2018 FIC Monterrey + VFS Scholarship applies only to the Writing for Film + Games program at VFS and cannot be applied to any other VFS program.
- Applicants who have already been accepted into a VFS program can apply for this scholarship; however, this scholarship must be used singularly and cannot be used in combination with any other bursary or scholarship already received. Previous applicants must re-submit their application with a completed scholarship application form.
- Applicants must be at least 19 years old or have graduated from high school.
- Employees and contractors of scholarship providers, media partners, and members of the scholarship selection committee and their spouses or immediate family members are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- To be eligible, applications must be submitted to VFS by no later than October 15, 2018. Scholarships will only be applicable for January and April 2019 start dates. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Any materials supplied with the application will not be returned.
- Scholarships will be awarded based on the applicant’s talent, creativity, discipline, and focus, as well as the selection criteria outlined for this scholarship, and the applicant must meet all admissions requirements.
The judging committee will consist of faculty and representatives from VFS and FIC Monterrey, as well as scholarship providers. The decision of the judging committee is final.
- This scholarship will cover tuition and standard program supplies. The scholarship recipient is responsible for all additional costs necessary to complete the program of study (including remaining tuition, housing, transportation, food, and incidentals). If the winner cannot commit to attending VFS for any reason within two weeks of being notified that he or she has been selected to receive a scholarship, another scholarship winner will be chosen.
- Applicants must be able to attend VFS by no later than April 2019.
- Applications will be accepted until October 15, 2018.
- The winning recipient will be required to maintain a weekly blog that captures and illustrates his or her experience in attending the VFS Writing for Film + Games program. All setup and costs will be covered by VFS.
- VFS reserves the right to cancel this scholarship initiative at any time, at its sole discretion, in the event of any administrative conflict or error. VFS reserves the right to modify the rules of this scholarship in any way or at any time as long as reasonable notice is given. This program is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable federal, provincial, state, and local laws and regulations.
Vancouver Film School reserves the right to cancel this competition at any time, at its sole discretion, in the event of any administrative conflict or error. Vancouver Film School reserves the right to modify the rules of this contest in any way or at any time as long as reasonable notice is given. This competition is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable Federal, Provincial, State, and local laws and regulations.
Acceptance of a scholarship allows Vancouver Film School to use your name, photograph or likeness and testimonials in print, broadcast or online media in perpetuity, in any manner in which VFS may deem appropriate in connection with promoting this competition or any other competition or promotion sponsored by VFS, without further compensation.
By participating in this competition, you agree that Vancouver Film School, members of the Selection Committee and those involved in the development, production, implementation and distribution of this competition and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, service providers, and agencies and their directors, officers, agents, employees, attorneys, and any other person or entity associated with such entities and/or this compassion (hereafter collectively called the “Sponsors”) are not liable for any claims, damages, losses or injuries, including third party claims, arising from or relating to, in whole or in part, this competition, including your entry and participation in this competition, the submission of your application package, the evaluation of your application package, acceptance, use or misuse of the scholarship or any injury to you or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from downloading or receiving via return e-mail any part of this competition information.
You further agree that you will not hold Vancouver Film School, their affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, agents, employees, attorneys, and any other person or entity associated with Vancouver Film School liable for any claims, losses, damages or injuries, arising from or relating to their use of your name or address for mailing and any other promotional materials. You also agree that in the event of any third party claims, damages, losses or injuries arising from or relating to this competition, you will indemnify Sponsors from any and all such claims, including the attorney’s fees related thereto. Sponsors shall not be liable for applications that are delayed, lost, misdirected, miss- delivered, marked postage-due, illegible, mutilated, incorrect or incomplete and such entries will not be eligible for this competition.
This scholarship has no cash value.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to apply to VFS. The amount of effort demonstrated in submitting this application tells us that you are dedicated. We wish you the best of luck in pursuing the 2018 FIC Monterrey + VFS Latin America Writing for Film and Games Scholarship!
Any questions regarding this scholarship announcement please contact your International Programs Office or contact:
Check the following links to see some examples of past submssions and fill in the form below.