Student Services Assistant - Position Information
- Educational Administration
- Vancouver, Canada
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Reporting to the Manager of Student Services, the Student Services Assistant is responsible for the day-to-day coordination of the Student Services Department encompassing a range of essential services that support student progression including ESL (i.e., assessments and programming), new to Vancouver resources (e.g., medical and immigration) and Key Events such as orientation day.
The expansion and growth of ESL services has been identified as a top priority for 2017/2018. The Student Services Assistant will participate in program/curriculum development, instructional appointments, coordinating external ESL partnerships, and supporting the day-to-day operations of ESL programming and assessments. Furthermore, the Student Services Assistant will also support the student-life plan and broader faculty development by coordinator advanced training workshops in areas related to immigration, ESL, counselling/wellness, post-secondary success, etc.
The Student Services Assistant is proactive, data-driven, results-oriented, and energetic. As an excellent communicator/collaborator, the Assistant plays a vital role within a talented and engaged team, and will work in collaboration with Educational Administration and other departments to achieve departmental goals/initiatives.
Please note: This is a one-year contract for maternity leave coverage.
• Oversee day-to-day coordination - responsible for the effective and efficient delivery of student support services.
• Work with Manager and consult with Educational Administration, Heads of Department, Program Manager, Admissions, and field experts (i.e., immigration, counselling, ESL) regarding programs and strategies to engage and support students.
• Work with Manager to facilitate the Student Services strategic plan.
• Support the development, roll-out, and continuous improvement of an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) certificate program and oversee EAP partnerships agreements.
• Participate in instructional appointments, training, and performance reviews for the EAP staff/instructors.
• Build and administer the EAP educational schedule and work with partner institution and our programs to facilitate program room bookings.
• Setup EAP course modules in Moodle and check to ensure course resources are robust/learning centered.
• Coordinate the day-to-day operations of ESL assessment services and provide assessment testing for incoming students.
• Build a thriving student community encompassing orientation, new to Vancouver events, and develop resources that will be available across multiple communication channels (i.e., .edu, Moodle, Newsletter, E-Mailers, Posters, Social Media, etc).
• Work with field experts to identify opportunities to develop and enhance critical
• For example, students encounter during their study (i.e., visas, study-permits, medical insurance, housing applications, etc).
• Refer students to internal resources as well as external community-based resources.
• Collaborate with Manager and key departments to develop a focused training/event calendar (e.g., immigration, housing, ESL, counselling/wellness) for students and faculty.
• Support the delivery of faculty focused advanced training programs/workshops - support/augment advanced instructor training program, particularly in Moodle and in relation to ESL and other Student Services programs.
• Conduct all activities in accordance with the highest ethical standards.
• Adhere to all school and regulatory policies and procedures.
• Monitor tools to and student satisfaction with Student Services - work with Manager to create benchmarks and provide regular reports.
• Ensure student information is accurately entered into the student database.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Degree or certificate in an area related discipline in Education or ESL with 3 - 5 years of experience in student or educational services.
• ESL support experience, TESOL or TEFL certification is considered an asset.
• MS Office, word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet programs.
• Proficiency in Moodle and/or online course development an asset.
• Knowledge of any industries associated with VFS programs an asset.
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational, writing, problem-solving and communication skills.
• Creative, collaborative, resourceful and able to work well with diverse groups.
• Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
• Highly organized person with a flexible approach and works well under pressure.
• Ability to present a professional and positive image and maintain discretion and confidentiality.