Instructor, Design Fundamentals - Position Information
- Animation Concept Art
- Vancouver, Canada
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Reporting directly to the Head of Department (HOD) and working under the supervision of the Creative Director, the Design Fundamentals Instructor in the Animation Concept Art program is responsible for ensuring the curriculum is up-to-date and relevant to current industry practices. They will also deliver curriculum effectively, teach with learning centered approaches, and provide meaningful feedback, guidance, and support to students on a regular basis. The core responsibilities of this role center on both curriculum design and delivery. The successful candidate will work closely with staff members to help create a culture of exploration, discovery, and critical thinking that supports the overall vision of the Animation Concept Art program.
• Work closely with the HOD and Creative Director to ensure curriculum is accurate, up-to-date and communicated to students in a clear and concise manner.
• Collaborate with HOD and faculty in the development, delivery, and ongoing maintenance of course content, assignment criteria, and learning outcomes.
• Develop curriculum per the program mission while utilizing industry input, data, and trends.
• Utilize course outlines to develop lesson plans and other course materials that detail what will be taught and how the course material will be delivered.
• Deliver course content relative to orthographic, isometric, detail, scale, shape language, and ellipses.
• Develop thorough and effective student assessment and grading systems consistent with VFS best practices.
• Manage courses effectively - make certain that students are appraised of their academic standing in a regular and consistent manner including timely reporting of attendance and grades.
• Other duties as assigned by the HOD.
• Relevant post-secondary certificate, diploma, or degree and 3+ year’s industry experience in a lead artist position; or, 10+ years of industry experience.
• Prior post-secondary teaching experience is preferred (or demonstrated ability to lead workshops, lectures, and seminars).
• Portfolio demonstrating a high caliber of professional work.
• Strong overall understanding of Photoshop.
• Superior drawing and general art skills.
• Strong technical drawing.
• Ultimate team player, with excellent communication skills.
• Knowledge of current industry trends and development.
• A passion for storytelling.