Staff Accountant - Position Information
- Vancouver, Canada
- Full Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Reporting to the Senior Accountant, the Staff Accountant is responsible for the reconciliation of certain account balances, input, and review of certain data, preparing periodic reports, various administrative duties, and project work. This position is a good opportunity for someone with a modest amount of accounting experience who is looking for an intermediate-level position as the building block towards their career. Projects and one-off assignments can be a significant portion of this role’s responsibilities; the ability to solve problems and think critically at a high level is a must.
- Preparing journal entries and account reconciliations under direction from the Senior Accountant.
- Project work as required (building Excel templates, research, other misc. one offs).
- Managing and generating student tax receipts from an automated system.
- Helping out with A/P and filling in for A/P when A/P accountant is away or on vacation.
- Processing credit card payments and refunds as needed.
- Assisting in the maintenance of the student database as needed.
- Filing tasks as needed.
- Bank deposits as needed.
- Assisting with the preparation of supporting documentation for the year-end audit.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Proficiency with MS Excel and excellent numerical and keyboarding skills are a must.
- Experience with Sage 300 or any other ERP system is considered an asset.
- Completion of the BCIT Financial Management Diploma or equivalent.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated good judgment and initiative with the ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of all information and documents.
- Positive attitude, ability to work in an ever-changing environment with the ability to handle multiple tasks or projects.
- Highly organized team player with a flexible approach.
- Ability to present a professional and positive image.