Frontend Web Developer - Position Information
- Vancouver, Canada
- Full Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Reporting to the Creative Director, the Frontend Web Developer will be responsible for contributing to the development and maintenance of all VFS websites, microsites, and web services. The incumbent will be experienced in Frontend Web Development and knowledgeable in designing effective usable interfaces. The role requires an individual who is highly organized, energetic, and is a positive self-starter who thrives in an evolving and fast-paced environment.
- Develop, deploy, and maintain standard compliant, scalable websites, web applications, and mobile applications using the latest front facing technologies.
- Develop engaging interactive components using a variety of technologies that push the envelope of innovation.
- Wire framing and prototyping in an agile environment.
- Construct and read wireframes, user flows, and interactive.
- Ensure that content supports the project's strategies and the corporate brand.
- Work as part of the Consumer Engagement team to develop consumer insight strategy, ensuring that it is scalable, flexible, and compatible with the overall information architecture of the products.
- Grow and mentor the design to meet the needs of our expanding product channels.
- Keeping current with new applicable software, technology, and trends.
- Other duties as assigned by Creative DIrector and Director of Marketing.
- Post-secondary education or university degree in a related discipline along with a minimum of one year professional experience in web design and development.
- Demonstrated W3C Valid HTML and CSS code.
- Strong development experience building responsive websites.
- Solid understanding of website performance optimization techniques as such as spriting, caching, progressive enhancement, gzipping, use of Website Optimizer, etc.
- Experience with Drupal or similar CMS.
- Experience with SASS and pre-processors such as Grunt.
- Experience with source controls systems like GIT or SVN.
- Experience with bug tracking software like Jira or Monday.com.
- A basic understanding of PHP code (proper syntax, basic understanding of functions, arrays, etc).
- Knowledge and understanding of Usability Principles and User Centered Design.
- Experience with visual / data visualization tools such as illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
- Capable of taking direction and working independently on very detail-oriented projects.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills with an attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated good judgment and initiative with the ability to work independently with minimum supervision while maintaining clear lines of communication.
- Ability to present a professional and positive image and maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to write markup that will be used to create valid HTML emailers.
- Must be highly organized and demonstrate ability to structure, catalog and present information relating to strategic business objectives.
- Understanding of CodeIgniter, Server-side Frameworks, and other Back End technologies is a great asset.