Junior Network and Systems Administrator - Position Information
- Information Technology + Systems
- Vancouver, Canada
- Full Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Reporting to the Infrastructure Manager with oversight from the Head of IT, this role is well suited for a self-motivated team player with strong and timely problem-solving abilities. The ideal candidate will be a very technical, hand on person who isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty. The main emphasis and skill set for this position will be in Systems, with about a 70/30 split between System Administrator / Network Administrator tasks. The successful candidate has the ability to work under pressure in a fast paced environment while managing and prioritizing multiple tasks. In addition, the incumbent must possess effective communication skills that include strong written, verbal, and presentation abilities. Bringing their strong interpersonal skills to the forefront, the incumbent will be required to interact with internal and external parties in a professional and efficient manner. Demonstrated customer service orientation skills are required as is a keen attention to detail.
- Provide internal helpdesk support and excellent customer service to all departments within the organization.
- Maintaining the current network and systems infrastructure and policies.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining policies, procedures and associated training plans for network resource administration, appropriate use, and disaster recovery.
- Conducting research on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts.
- Managing servers, including e-mail, print and backup servers and their associated operating systems and software.
- Managing and maintaining security solutions, including firewall, anti-virus and intrusion detection systems.
- Managing all network hardware and equipment, including switches, firewall, VPN, and patch panels.
- Daily server administration and troubleshooting of a Microsoft Active Directory based networked environment including all supporting components such as GPO, DNS, IIS, DHCP, WUS, Site replication, etc.
- Providing network administration and troubleshooting of an Exchange 2010 Email environment.
- Continuously looking for solutions on improving availability and design of existing systems.
- Maintaining data communications and connection solutions, including LAN and VPN.
- Performing server and security audits.
- Maintaining test, development and production servers for various applications and systems.
- Performing system backups and recovery.
- Planning, testing, and integrating hardware or software implementations into the network and integrating into a server virtualization environment.
- Creating and maintaining documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- Planning, acquiring, and coordinating installation of in-house and remote hardware and software across the organization's network.
- Following and maintaining change management procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by the Infrastructure Manager and Head of IT.
- A College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and 2 plus years of system administration experience.
- Working knowledge of VMware and Microsoft server technologies are required.
- Experience with SQL Server, SharePoint, Exchange, Cisco Routers, Switches and Firewalls.
- Demonstrated knowledge of TCP/IP and networking fundamentals.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Proven experience in installing, upgrading, and maintaining servers and associated operating systems.
- Experience in gathering and analyzing business requirements.