Copywriter - Position Information
- Vancouver, Canada
- Full Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
The Copywriter is a key contributor in the creative development of a project, from concept to final proofing, and works closely with visual designers, web designers/ developers, media producers, coordinators, PR, management, and faculty to execute his or her responsibilities. The Copywriter will report to the Creative Director and the Director of Marketing.
- Write powerful, clear copy for web, print advertising, blog, social media, video, listings, editorial, PR, internal documents, and more.
- Help build and maintain VFS brand voice and tone.
- Edit, improve, and sharpen existing copy to conform to an established tone and style and be actively engaged in defining the VFS tone and voice.
- Work with creative to develop original, imaginative concepts based on strategic briefs.
- Proofread and fact-check copy from a wide variety of sources with 100 percent accuracy.
- Work closely with management, coordinators, and creatives to see projects through from concept to delivery.
- Provide writing support to all Marketing team members and VFS senior management.
- Take an active role in developing and maintaining the overall marketing message for each of VFS's 15 programs, and write copy in support of that message.
- Independently research student work, alumni credits, curriculum, and the entertainment arts.
- Liaise with faculty, staff, and alumni on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain awareness of the latest developments in film, TV, video games, design, and digital media.
- Report on VFS events, alumni successes, student experiences, etc.
- The role is not solely journalism, PR, or SEO-driven, but does incorporate aspects of all three.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Marketing and Creative Director.
- Degree or diploma in Creative Writing or Marketing with a strong focus on copywriting.
- Five to six years of relevant experience.
- Strong conceptual thinking; equally skilled at developing short and long copy.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading ability.
- In-depth understanding of basic user experience for web copy and online mediums.
- Proficiency with key Windows software, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Familiarity with WordPress and Photoshop.
- Knowledge of major social platforms and their use in a marketing context, including YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr and LinkedIn.
- The ability to multi-task, set priorities, work under pressure, and meet tight deadlines.
- A team player who thrives in a collaborative environment.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills are absolutely essential.