Student Services Assistant - Position Information
- Educational Administration
- Vancouver, Canada
- Full Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Reporting to the Student Services Supervisor and Head of Student & Regulatory Affairs, the Student Services Assistant is responsible for assisting in the Student Services Department encompassing a range of essential services including Housing, ESL (i.e., assessments and programming), New-to-Vancouver resources (e.g., medical insurance and immigration referral information) and key events such as Orientation Day. A primary role/function is to support the Student Services Supervisor in the research, development, implementation, and ongoing assessment of a full range of high quality student services for new/continuing students that support educational progression.
The Student Services Assistant will also support the student-life plan and broader faculty development by providing coordinator training workshops in areas related to housing, medical insurance, immigration, ESL, counselling/wellness, post-secondary success, etc.
The Student Services Assistant is proactive, data-driven, results-oriented, and energetic. As an excellent communicator/collaborator, the Assistant plays a vital role within a talented and engaged team, and will work in collaboration with Educational Administration and other departments to achieve departmental goals/initiatives.
Please Note: This is a permanent position ranging from 24 to 28 hours per week.
- Oversee day-to-day coordination co-responsible (along with the Housing Coordinator and Student Services Coordinator) for the effective and efficient delivery of student support services.
- Provide efficient & professional administrative support to the Housing Coordinator.
- Process student housing applications (including related fees) and respond to housing inquiries in a timely manner (within 24 hours).
- Provide information on the Metro Vancouver housing market including prices, trends, availability, and all conditions of safety and livability within each neighbourhood.
- Regularly communicate with incoming prospective students with updates on their housing application and the housing service process.
- Provide Housing & ESL assistance / relief for the Housing Coordinator and Student Services Coordinator during sick and or vacation days.
- Establish, maintain and continuously develop a directory of VFS-approved accommodations, including photos and descriptions of each accommodation.
- Develop and share resources that relate to the cost of housing, best practices for finding housing, roommates, etc.
- Handle all transactions with professionalism and confidentiality, mitigating any potential financial loss between all parties involved including landlords, management companies, students, and VFS.Liaise with VFS Accounting to ensure all outlined Accounting procedures are dutifully followed.
- Work with Student Services Supervisor and consult with Educational Administration, Heads of Department, Program Manager, Admissions, and field experts (i.e., housing, medical insurance, immigration, counselling, ESL) regarding programs and strategies to engage and support students.
- Work with Student Services Supervisor to facilitate the Student Services strategic plan.
- Coordinate the day-to-day operations of ESL assessment services and provide assessment testing for incoming students.
- Build a thriving student community encompassing Orientation, New-to-Vancouver events, and develop resources that will be available across multiple communication channels (i.e. .edu, Moodle, Newsletter, E-Mailers, Posters, Social Media, etc).
- Refer students to internal resources as well as external community-based resources.
- Conduct all activities in accordance with the highest ethical standards.
- Adhere to all school and regulatory policies and procedures.
- Monitor tools to and student satisfaction with Student Services - work with Student Services Supervisor to create benchmarks and provide regular reports.
- Ensure student information is accurately entered into the student database.
- Other duties as assigned by the Student Services Supervisor and Head of Student and Regulatory Affairs.
- Degree, diploma or certificate in Education, Administration, Hospitality, Media Arts or related fields with prior experience in student or educational services.
- Prior work experience with international students.
- ESL support experience, TESOL or TEFL certification is considered an asset.
- Proficiency in MS Office, word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet programs.
- Knowledge of any industries associated with VFS programs an asset.
- Knowledge of the Vancouver housing rental market an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, writing, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Friendly, personable and welcoming manner.
- Creative, collaborative, resourceful and able to work well with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Highly organized person with a flexible approach who works well under pressure.
- Ability to present a professional and positive image and maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite an asset.
- Second language an asset.
- Must be authorized to work in Canada.