Instructor, English for Creative Arts - Position Information
- English for Creative Arts
- Vancouver, Canada
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Reporting to the Head of English for Creative Arts the ESL Instructor for the English for Creative Arts program is the educational leader in the classroom and will ensure that the school’s program and curricula are implemented in a way that maximizes student-learning experiences. The ESL Instructor plans, organizes and implements an appropriate instructional program in a learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential. Consistent with the guidelines of the English for Creative Arts program, the ESL Instructor will work within an established framework for the delivery of educational services which support the program. Working collaboratively with a team of educational professionals, the ESL Instructor will demonstrate a strong commitment to planning for improvement in support of student achievement.
- Teacher-Specific Competencies.
- Deliver results-focused instruction to students using various ESL teaching methods.
- Takes attendance. Assigns, monitors and grades activities, homework and exams.
- Punctual and conscientious management of classes.
- Maintains classroom order and supports students; providing individual guidance and referring students to Program Administration when appropriate.
- Collaboration with Head of English for Creative Arts on planning and updating curriculum and progression of course when necessary.
- Keeps up to date with developments in subject area, teaching resources and methods and makes relevant changes to instructional plans and activities.
- Performs other duties as required.
- University degree and qualifying TESOL certificate or diploma are must-haves.
- Teaching experience in a post-secondary setting or to young adults is preferred.
- Experience leading classes with Cambridge First and Advanced resources.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong customer service orientation.
- Cultural sensitivity and patience.
- Genuinely committed to helping students learn.
- Ability to recognize individual learning styles and the characteristics of learners.
- A broad knowledge of teaching methods and tools.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point) and Moodle.
- Interest and demonstrated passion for Media Arts an asset.