Voice Instructor - Position Information
- Vancouver, Canada
- Part Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
We are looking for a part-time Voice Instructor with a focus on contemporary actors for our signature Acting Essentials and Acting for Film & Television programs.
The successful candidate’s training will have an emphasis on voice and speech. An understanding of various voice, speech, and singing for the actor pedagogies such as Linklater, Berry, Rodenburg, Hart, Fitzmaurice and Craig are an asset. The Instructor will possess a solid knowledge of vocal anatomy, as well as how an actor uses voice to enhance language and text. The Instructor will guide the students to explore personal habits that inhibit full vocal expression and give them techniques and exercises to support a clear, expressive voice for an actor.
The Voice stream at VFS takes students with little to no experience and provides them with foundational skills that they can continue to build upon throughout their career as a contemporary Film and Television Actor. It covers an introduction to the embodied voice, where students learn that the actor’s voice is a vital integration of the body, play, imagination, intellect, and emotions. Curriculum work includes breath, relaxation, range, support, articulation and resonance.
Reporting to the Head of Acting for Film & TV and Acting and Acting Essentials, the Instructor is responsible for delivering curriculum effectively, professionally, with an awareness of diversity and inclusion while giving specific feedback to the students. The Instructor is a team player and possesses a strong sense of commitment, support and responsibility to the organization as a whole (administration, students, instructors, and staff of all VFS programs), and the VFS model of education. This is a great opportunity for you to directly educate the next generation of actors in a supportive and fast-paced environment.
Note: This is currently a part time hourly term position. The Instructor will primarily be teaching in-person and may have some online teaching components.
- Provide students with instruction based upon existing curriculum and course syllabus.
- Class attendance and grading.
- Respectful, inclusive, professional guidance of students.
- Punctual and conscientious management of classes.
- Collaboration with Head of Department and faculty on ongoing course development.
- Collaboration with administration staff on resources and equipment issues.
- Attendance at periodic staff meetings.
- Understanding of Moodle Learning system (grading, attendance, assignments, Lesson support materials).
- Engagement in other workshop/initiatives and opportunities to support VFS as available.
- Post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree and 3 years industry experience or 10 years of industry/professional experience.
- Resume demonstrating a high caliber of professional work.
- Previous teaching and coaching experience are an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, and Zoom.
- Ability to lead workshops, lectures and seminars.
- Excellent communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of current industry/actor education trends and evolution.