Dance Skills Instructor - Position Information
- Vancouver, Canada
- Part Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
We are looking for a part-time Dance for Actors Instructor for our VFS Acting Program the One Year Acting for Film + TV diploma program. This is an hourly instructor position (part-time/two classes a week average) for a course starting in September. The Course is a survey of some Dance Skills and introduces acting students to the basics of various styles of dance including Waltz, Fox Trot and Salsa preparing them for possible choreography. Students also engage in a full body physical warm up at the beginning of every class. At the completion of the course, students will be able to demonstrate these basic skills within a studio environment. Our goal is to mentor empowered, embodied actors, deeply connected to their full process skills and techniques, who can create a wide range of memorable performances on and off screen.
Reporting to the Head of Acting for Film & TV and Acting and Acting Essentials, the Instructor is responsible for delivering curriculum effectively, professionally, with an awareness of diversity and Inclusion in an engaging manner while giving specific feedback to the students. The instructor is a team player and possesses a strong sense of commitment, support and responsibility to the organization as a whole (administration, students, instructors, and staff of all VFS programs), and the VFS model of education.
Note: This is currently a part time hourly position as term instructor.
- Provide students with instruction based upon existing curriculum and course syllabus.
- Class attendance and grading.
- Respectful, inclusive, professional guidance of students where appropriate.
- Punctual and conscientious management of classes.
- Collaboration with Head of Department and faculty on ongoing course development.
- Collaboration with administration staff on resources and equipment issues.
- Attendance at periodic staff meetings
- Understanding of Moodle Learning system (grading, attendance, assignments, Lesson support materials)
- Engagement in other workshop/initiatives and opportunities to support VFS as available
- Post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree and 3 years industry experience or 10 years of industry/professional experience.
- Resume demonstrating a high caliber of professional work.
- Teaching/coaching experience
- Ability to lead workshops, lectures and seminars.
- Excellent communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of current industry/actor education trends and evolution