Part Time Instructor - Film Production Set Design - Position Information
- Vancouver, Canada
- Part Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Reporting to the Senior Instructor for Production Design and the Head of Department, the Instructor will provide professional, expert and experience-based education to VFS students within the Film Production Program. The Instructor agrees to work within the existing curriculum of the program and integrate projects-based education of VFS. The instructor will also provide regular and transparent feedback to students on every project and assignment.
- Working from a course syllabus and participating in developing lesson plans detailing what will be taught and how the course material will be delivered.
- In consultation with other instructors and staff, develop innovative and engaging approaches to learning challenging software and computer applications.
- Work closely with the Department Head, Senior Production Design Instructor and Teaching Assistants to ensure class curriculum is accurate, up-to-date, and communicated to students in a clear and concise manner.
- Provide students with guidance and support in learning software and issues relating to Computer Aided Drawing, Modeling and Rendering in the context of Film Production in general.
- Instruct students on the various technical processes and communication employed during design development, preproduction, production, and post-production as it relates to set and electronic design with computer drawings, production design in the context of the department in general.
- Provide students with regular feedback and support related to computer drawing, modeling and rendering as it relates to set and prop design, technical drawings, modeling and communication for building physical and possibly virtual sets.
- Relevant degree/diploma/certification or equivalent work experience in set design for film with demonstrated facility with computer aided drawing, modeling and rendering.
- Experience teaching, working and engaging with students is advantageous.
- Ability to function in workshops, lectures, seminars and mentoring.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with industry standard software, such as: Sketchup, AutoCAD, Rhino, V-Ray and Twinmotion are the focus of this position.
- Variety of professional industry experience and knowledge of all aspects of the Art Department as related to computer drawing, modeling and rendering is advantageous.
- Excellent communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- A committed team player with a good sense of humour.