Director of Finance - Position Information
- Vancouver, Canada
- Full Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
In this role you will influence and improve VFSs business processes, systems and control processes to drive and support its continuing growth. As we get through the pandemic challenges you will also have the opportunity to influence the capability and capacity in the Finance function to effectively support the future of VFS.
As Director of Finance you will be responsible for overseeing all financial functions including reporting, budgeting, performance management, internal controls, forecasting, financing, and tax planning in accordance with Canadian GAAP at Vancouver Film School. This includes being responsible for financial strategy, financial planning and analysis, financial reports, company audits, compliance, and risk management. Your leadership will improve VFS by making decisions regarding VFS financial strategy and operations.
This is an exciting opportunity if you are seeking to join an educational institution in the film and arts entertainment industry as well as make a significant contribution to a creative culture.
- Collaborate with other Directors and HODs to provide support on financial and management information analyses, reports, and recommendations
- Will be responsible for managing the Accounting and Purchasing departments
- Ensure all financial entities are functioning within financial risk framework and in compliance with all relevant limits and regulatory requirements
- Develop additional financial plans for initiatives outside of core business plan
- Analyze and improve cash flow, cost controls, expenses and financial statements
- Provide long-term strategic financial view in the leadership of fiscal management to reach companys priorities while remaining fiscally responsible
- Establish and implement short-term and long-term VFS and departmental financial goals, policies, and operating procedures
- Create, implement, and evaluate the financial programs and information systems of the company, including budgeting, tax planning, control systems, approval and costs management systems and effective utilization of assets
- Management of accounting analyses as needed
- Oversee Financial Audit and tax filings in cooperation with auditors
- Coordinate the preparation of financial reports, monthly, term and annual financial statements and special reports requested by Managing Director
- Any other relevant requests made by the Managing Director
- Maintain production and integrity of internal and external financial reports including financial statements and monthly rolling forecast projections for use by executive management team
- Direct the reporting and analysis of financial and operational data
- Continuously maintain and improve processes to protect from fraud and money laundering
- Oversee government subsidies
- Advise on international contractor regulations
- Manage property leases, subleases and negotiate insurance plans
- Manage capital acquisitions including lease financing and analysis
- Other duties as assigned by Managing Director
- CPA designation with a minimum of 5 years post-qualification experience
- Proven ability to lead in deadline-driven and GAAP compliant reporting environment.
- Extensive knowledge of GAAP, long-range planning and financial analysis
- Demonstrated experience and success in leading finance functions, taxation strategies and tax planning
- Reputation for being a trusted financial advisor who fosters teamwork, collaboration, and progressive change
- Strong business acumen and a sophisticated and entrepreneurial style
- A knack for synthesizing complexity and designing systems and processes to ensure the integrity of the finance function while adapting to growth and change
- Ability to assess complex and sensitive situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks and make complex decisions that are in the best interests of the department and the company
- Strong leadership skills, including a team orientation and ability to motivate
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills and a proven ability to foster a positive and enthusiastic work dynamic throughout all levels in the company
- Knowledge of international markets/transactions is an asset.