MIDI and Synthesis Instructor - Position Information
- Sound Design
- Vancouver, Canada
- Part Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Reporting to the Head of Department and the Senior Instructor, the Instructor is responsible for delivering curriculum effectively and providing feedback to students.
- Working from a course outline, develop lesson plans detailing what will be taught and how the course material will be delivered.
- Work closely with the Head of Department to ensure class curriculum is accurate and up to date and is communicated to students in a clear and concise manner.
- Class attendance and grading.
- Individual guidance of students where appropriate.
- Punctual and conscientious management of classes.
- Collaboration with Head of Department and faculty on progression of courses.
- Collaboration with administration staff on resources and equipment issues.
- Attendance at staff meetings (once every two months).
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of Department.
- Post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree plus minimum 3 years of industry experience or minimum 10 years of industry experience.
- Portfolio demonstrating a high caliber of professional work.
- Must have extensive experience/knowledge using MIDI in a production-based environment.
- Must have extensive experience/knowledge of synthesizers, specifically software-based ones like VC Rack.
- Experience using MIDI and Synths in Sound Designing, not music composition, is an asset.
- Experience using classic sound synthesis: additive, subtractive, FM, sampling, Signal generators is an asset.
- Ability to lead workshops, lectures and seminars.
- Excellent communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.