Teaching Assistant - Position Information
- Vancouver, Canada
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond.
Vancouver Film School is always looking for Teaching Assistants to support of the Instructor(s) in the classroom in various programs. Teaching Assistants will provide professional, expert, and courteous front-line educational support to all VFS students within the program they are assigned. TAs are able to work with small groups of students on special projects, help the Instructor with the students concerns, and may assist students in utilizing a variety of instructional resources. TAs will have a basic understanding of a particular area of expertise in the program they are working in. TAs need to be highly organized, energetic and is a positive self-starter who thrives in an evolving and fast-paced environment.
This is an entry level position that is ideal for VFS Recent Graduates or Alumni of VFS who would like some work experience in the education space or more exposure to the arts entertainment industry.
Please note: we currently do not have any opening at this time. If a job becomes active and your qualifications meet the requirements of the job, we will contact you.
- Assist and support Instructor(s) in the delivery of course curriculum within the assigned program
- Attend lectures given by the Instructor(s) who they are assisting.
- Provide general class preparation assistance to Instructors including photocopying of course materials and assist with development of course materials when appropriate.
- Assist the Instructor(s) with evaluating and marking student assignments based on the Instructors instructions and the program departments policies and procedures.
- Act as the liaison between students and Instructor and assist students in the classroom and outside of class time.
- Assist and inform students of the procedures for completing and submitting class work.
- Troubleshoot any technical problems students are encountering and act as a liaison between students and the IT department when required.
- Assist the department with submitting student work to festivals and industry.
- Perform other duties as required by the Instructor or program.
- A degree, diploma, certificate from a recognized post-secondary institution in one or more of the following areas:
- Animation Concept, Film Production, Programming of Games, Web & Mobile, Writing for Film, Television and Games, 3D Animation & Visual effects, Classical Animation, Game Design, Sound Design for Visual Media, Acting for Film & Television, Digital Design, Makeup Design for Film and Television, VR/AR Design Developers
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Good judgment and initiative with the ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Highly organized team player with a flexible approach and works well under pressure.
- Ability to present a professional and positive image and maintain discretion and confidentiality.
Full-time and Part-time opportunities
Work is mainly on campus
Contract length ranges from 1-month to1 year or more.
Hourly rate: $15.65 per hour
Benefits: (for eligible full-time staff)
Extended health, dental benefits and HSA (health care spending account)
- Vancouver Film School tuition discounts for friends and family for full time employees
- Learn from the best industry experts. All full-time employees will have access to VFS Connect Workshop Courses such as Gaming Design Fundamentals, Intro to Directing, Screenwriting Fundamentals, Intro to Maya and many more.
- Access to specialized production equipment and space such as camera equipment, props, movie sets and more.
- Professional development lunches
- Annual personal days (for eligible full-time staff)
- Time off during winter break
Vancouver Film School believes in diversity in all forms and we're committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. As our team grows, we're looking to work with a wide range of creatives and professionals from different backgrounds, including but not limited to Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, newcomers to Canada, seniors, visible minorities and people from all genders, sexual orientation and religious backgrounds. We want to assure both our students and staff that this is of the utmost importance and strive to improve representation in all areas.Apply Now