Senior Instructor - Digital Design and VR/AR - Position Information
- Digital Design
- Vancouver, Canada
- Full Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond.
Reporting directly to Head of Department for Digital Design and VR/AR, the Senior Instructor for the VR/AR and Digital Design programs is responsible for delivering curriculum effectively, teaching with learning-centred approaches, and providing meaningful feedback, guidance, and support to students on a regular basis.
The core focus of this role is teaching and working closely with the Head of Department of DD/VR/AR to help create a culture of exploration, discovery, empathy, and critical thinking that supports the overall vision of the VR/AR and Digital Design programs.
The Senior Instructor in the VR/AR and Digital Design programs will inspire students to become passionate about design and will have relevant experience across a spectrum of the design industry in order to teach both theory and practical project deliverables based on real-world applications and client needs. Following a learner-centered model of course delivery the Senior Instructor will have expertise in the program fundamentals, and will support the programs to ensure the highest levels of student satisfaction. This is a full-time and in-person role.
- Develop and deliver curriculum per the program mission and desired outcomes
- Ensure course outlines and program curriculum are up-to-date and that all updates are reviewed by the HOD of DD/VRAR and Ed Admin
- Oversee and coordinate each programs curriculum (including non-credit experiences and workshops) for part-time instructors, mentors, TAs, and guest speakers
- Help with recruiting and onboarding part-time instructors in respective streams as needed.
- Mentor students provide creative and technical guidance/support on their projects.
- Maintain courses in the Learning Management System (Moodle) by:
- entering attendance for every class
- ensuring files and curriculum materials are updated
- checking for broken links or and deleting irrelevant materials
- updating assignment briefs and due dates
- Provide students with feedback and grades for assignments in a timely manner.
- Refer to the HOD and/or the Program Manager for student support on disciplinary issues
- Ensure thorough and effective student assessment and grading systems consistent with VFS best practices
- Collaborate with the HOD on the design and delivery of the program
- Participate in regular staff meetings and play an active role in setting additional meetings as needed
- Collaborate with key faculty and staff in the design and delivery of the program for the specific stream
- Assist HOD and HR with recruitment and hiring of part-time faculty and mentors
- Plan and coordinate industry events such as the DD Design Jam and industry night
- Support, participate, and attend program activities such as orientations, Design Jams, meetings and graduations and assist as assigned
- Work with the Head of Department, Program Manager, instructors, TAs, IT, and other relevant departments at VFS regarding all resource, hardware, software and equipment needs necessary for curriculum delivery in the program
- Conduct biannual Moodle audits for the courses in stream (and as assigned by Head of Department) including those taught by part-time instructors
- Participate and support admissions/marketing activities as directed and assigned (e.g. portfolio reviews, faculty presentations/workshops for partner schools…etc.)
- Coordinate content collection and ensure student portfolio website is up-to-date and current
- Maintain and nurture industry contacts for the program in order to expose students to industry connections for learning and recruitment opportunities (e.g. guest speakers, potential client projects, studio visits)
- Support outreach projects with the goal of brand enhancement and increasing enrollment numbers for the VR/AR & Digital Design Programs
- Other duties as assigned
- Relevant post-secondary degree and 5+ years industry experience
- Prior post-secondary teaching experience is preferred (or demonstrated ability to lead workshops, lectures, and seminars)
- Knowledge and experience teaching in the VR/AR, UX/UI (Interactive design)
- Motion design experience would be an asset
- Portfolio demonstrating a high calibre of professional work
- Strong communication, problem-solving, critical thinking skills and conflict management
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Comfortable working independently & in team-based settings
- Adaptable to change in fast paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to provide concise, constructive and practical feedback and direction in a professional creative setting
- Knowledge of current industry trends and development
- Diverse industry experience