Frontend Web Developer - Co-op - Position Information
- Vancouver, Canada
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond.
Reporting to the Creative Director, the Frontend Web Developer will be responsible for contributing to the development and maintenance of all VFS websites, microsites, and web services. The incumbent will be experienced in Frontend Web Development and knowledgeable in designing effective usable interfaces. The role requires an individual who is highly organized, energetic, and is a positive self-starter who thrives in an evolving and fast-paced environment.
Please note: This is a co-op position.
- Develop, deploy, and maintain standard compliant, scalable websites, web applications, and mobile applications using the latest front facing technologies.
- Develop engaging interactive components using a variety of technologies that push the envelope of innovation.
- Implement and maintain best SEO practices for all web properties.
- Construct and read wireframes, user flows, and interactive.
- Ensure that content supports the project's strategies and the corporate brand.
- Work as part of the Experience team to develop consumer insight strategy, ensuring that it is scalable, flexible, and compatible with the overall information architecture of the products.
- Grow and mentor the design to meet the needs of our expanding product channels.
- Keeping current with new applicable software, technology, and trends.
- Other duties as assigned by the Marketing Manager and/or the Creative Director.
- Post-secondary education and experience in a related discipline in web design and development.
- Demonstrated W3C Valid HTML and CSS code.
- Development experience building responsive websites.
- Understanding of website performance optimization techniques as such as spriting, caching, progressive enhancement, gzipping, use of Website Optimizer, etc.
- Experience with Drupal or similar CMS.
- Experience with SASS and pre-processors such as Grunt.
- Experience with source controls systems like GIT or SVN.
- Experience with task tracking software like Jira or Monday.com an asset.
- A basic understanding of PHP code (proper syntax, basic understanding of functions, arrays, etc).
- Ability to write markup that will be used to create valid HTML emailers.
- Knowledge and understanding of Usability Principles and User Centered Design.
- Experience with Adobe tools such as illustrator, InDesign & Photoshop an asset.
- Capable of taking direction and working independently on very detail-oriented projects.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills with an attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated good judgment and initiative with the ability to work independently with minimum supervision while maintaining clear lines of communication.
- Must be highly organized and demonstrate ability to structure, catalog and present information relating to strategic business objectives.
- Understanding of CodeIgniter, Server-side Frameworks, and other Back End technologies is a great asset.
- Have a sharp sense of development and are passionate about your work.
- Be self-motivated.
- Excel at personal time management.
- Value communication.
- Be reliable and do what it takes to meet deadlines.
- Be able to take direction from others.
- Be open minded and enjoy a challenge.
- Be able to work independently and as a team.
- Enjoy a fast-paced environment.
- Be a creative problem-solver.
Vancouver Film School believes in diversity in all forms and we're committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. As our team grows, we're looking to work with a wide range of creatives and professionals from different backgrounds, including but not limited to Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, newcomers to Canada, seniors, visible minorities and people from all genders, sexual orientation and religious backgrounds. We want to assure both our students and staff that this is of the utmost importance and strive to improve representation in all areas.Apply Now