Applying is easy, but you must include the following:
- A completed application form.
- A 6-8 page short film script, written in English, with 1-3 speaking characters. The script must be a “feel-good” story that praises positive principles such as solidarity, loyalty, forgiveness, kindness, love, compassion, hope, sympathy, joy, etc. Scripts that do not meet these criteria will be disqualified. The jury will critique all scripts using the following criteria:
- Narrative Structure.
- Creation of Dialogue.
- Character Creation.
- A link to a video, in English and with a maximum length of 60 seconds:
- Begin by stating your name and the title of your script.
- Give a brief statement explaining why you want to apply to the 2022 ficmonterrey Scholarship.
- Briefly summarize your script:
- The video must be available on YouTube or Vimeo and be accessible via direct link.
- Physical copies of the following documents, couriered to Manuel M. Ponce 347, Col. Guadalupe Inn, 01020, Alvaro Obregon. CDMX. Mexico:
- A clear copy of a government-issued photo ID indicating your date of birth and legal name.
- Two letters of recommendation that include the contact information for your references. References should be able to comment on your creative ability, work ethic, ability to take criticism, ability to work in a team environment, and previous accomplishments.
- Transcripts from any institution you attended within the past five years (copies will suffice).
- Acceptable proof of your proficiency in English (see below)
- If English is not your native language, you must submit proof of your English proficiency. This may include:
- TOEFL score of 550 (213 Computer-Based Test)
- TOEIC score of 785
- IELTS Band 6.5
- LPI Level 5
- FCE Cambridge "First Certificate in English" Level B2
- VEC (Vancouver English Centre) Articulation Agreement Level 12
- Transcripts from an English-speaking high school or an accredited English-speaking post-secondary institution
- Duolingo English test score of 105 or higher
- IB English score of 5 or higher
- All documents (except transcript) must be in English and total files cannot exceed 10MB.
- English language credentials must be valid at the time of submission.
- As the scholarship covers tuition costs only, the winner must cover all additional costs, including flights, accommodations, meals, and international insurance.
- Applications will be accepted until: November 15, 2022, at 8 p.m. PST. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. The winner will be announced on November 30, 2022.
- The 2022 ficmonterrey Scholarship applies only to the Writing for Film, Television & Games program at VFS and cannot be applied to any other VFS program.
- Applicants who have already been accepted into a VFS program can apply for this scholarship; however, this scholarship must be used singularly and cannot be used in combination with any other bursary or scholarship already received. Previous applicants must re-submit their application with a completed scholarship application form.
- Applicants must be at least 19 years old or have graduated from high school.
- Individuals who have applied to previous ficmonterrey Scholarships in the past 4 years are NOT eligible to reapply.
- To be eligible, applications must be submitted to VFS by no later than November 15, 2022 at 8 p.m. PST.
- Any materials supplied with the application will not be returned.
- Scholarships will be awarded based on the applicant’s talent, creativity, discipline, and focus, as well as the selection criteria outlined for this scholarship. Applicants must meet all admissions requirements.
- The judging committee will consist of faculty and representatives from VFS and ficmonterrey, as well as scholarship providers and industry professionals. The decision of the judging committee is final.
- The winner will be announced on November 30, 2022.
- We inform every applicant that Vancouver is considered one of the best cities in the world to live, but it’s also an expensive city compared to many others. It can cost you at least $25,000 CAD a year for basic food, travel and accommodations. Tell us in your words your plan to be able to make this opportunity work for you financially for 12 months.
- Applicants must be able to attend VFS for the May 1, 2023 or August 28, 2023 intakes.
- The winning recipient may be required to maintain a weekly blog that captures and illustrates their experience in attending the VFS Writing for Film, Television & Games program. All setup and hosting costs would be covered by VFS.
Vancouver Film School reserves the right to cancel this competition at any time, at its sole discretion, in the event of any administrative conflict or error. Vancouver Film School reserves the right to modify the rules of this contest in any way or at any time as long as reasonable notice is given. This competition is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable Federal, Provincial, State, and local laws and regulations.
Acceptance of a scholarship allows Vancouver Film School to use your name, photograph or likeness and testimonials in print, broadcast or online media in perpetuity, in any manner in which VFS may deem appropriate in connection with promoting this competition or any other competition or promotion sponsored by VFS, without further compensation.
By participating in this competition, you agree that Vancouver Film School, members of the Selection Committee and those involved in the development, production, implementation and distribution of this competition and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, service providers, and agencies and their directors, officers, agents, employees, attorneys, and any other person or entity associated with such entities and/or this compassion (hereafter collectively called the “Sponsors”) are not liable for any claims, damages, losses or injuries, including third party claims, arising from or relating to, in whole or in part, this competition, including your entry and participation in this competition, the submission of your application package, the evaluation of your application package, acceptance, use or misuse of the scholarship or any injury to you or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from downloading or receiving via return e-mail any part of this competition information.
You further agree that you will not hold Vancouver Film School, their affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, agents, employees, attorneys, and any other person or entity associated with Vancouver Film School liable for any claims, losses, damages or injuries, arising from or relating to their use of your name or address for mailing and any other promotional materials. You also agree that in the event of any third-party claims, damages, losses or injuries arising from or relating to this competition, you will indemnify Sponsors from any and all such claims, including the attorney’s fees related thereto. Sponsors shall not be liable for applications that are delayed, lost, misdirected, miss- delivered, marked postage-due, illegible, mutilated, incorrect or incomplete and such entries will not be eligible for this competition.
This scholarship has no cash value.
Thank you for applying. The amount of time and effort demonstrated in submitting this application tells us how dedicated you are. We wish you the best of luck in pursuing the 2022 ficmonterrey Scholarship!