VFS is excited to offer the following scholarships to the most deserving applicants:
- A maximum of three (3) full-tuition scholarship (100%) for Acting for Film & Television (12 months)
- A maximum of six (6) half-tuition scholarships (50%) for Acting for Film & Television (12 months)
- A maximum of three (3) full-tuition (100%) scholarships for Acting Essentials (4 months)
You must complete the following to apply:
- Submit a videotaped audition that meets our department standards, according to the Content Requirements. Please note that the audition must be specifically created for VFS and must be clearly identified as such. Once your videotaped audition is complete, upload the file to a video hosting site (YouTube, Vimeo, a personal website, etc.) then “share” using the share link to complete the application form.
Note: When sharing, set the sharing permissions so anyone with the link can view the file/document. If we cannot view your files, your scholarship application will be considered incomplete.
The tape must be a maximum six minutes in length. In the video, you must:
- State your name on camera.
- Demonstrate a contemporary monologue in less than one minute.
- Demonstrate a short contemporary scene (applicant should be on camera and the reader off camera) in less than one minute.
- If desired, provide a maximum one-minute demo of a special skill (i.e. singing, dance, physical action, etc.).
- Provide answers to the following questions in a maximum of two minutes:
- Why did you choose your audition pieces?
- How long have you wanted to act?
- Who inspired you to pursue an acting career?
- What are your strengths & weaknesses as an actor?
- If you couldn’t act, what other profession would you pursue?
- All components of the audition must be on one tape – no additional tapes or recorded material will be considered.
- Applications will not be judged based on the production quality of the tape.
- We suggest using a simple digital camera or handycam to shoot your audition video. No editing is required.
- A completed application form.
- A clear copy of a government-issued photo ID indicating your date of birth and legal name.
- Provide two letters of recommendation that include the contact information (phone number and alternate phone numbers, e-mail address, and relationship to you). References should include comments on your creative ability, work ethic, ability to take criticism, ability to work in a team environment, and previous accomplishments. They can be anyone that can vouch for your character, as long as they are not a family member. This could include an employer, teacher, colleague, etc.
- A resume detailing your work history and education.
- Transcripts from any institution you attended within the past five years (copies are acceptable).
- Proof of your proficiency in English (if English is not your native language), which can include any of the following:
- IELTS (Academic) - Band 6.5
- TOEFL iBT - score of 80
- TOEFL PBT - score of 550
- PTE - score of 55+
- TOEIC - score of 785
- CELPIP- Level 8
- B2 First (formerly Cambridge English: First (FCE)) - Grade A
- LPI - Level 5
- Duolingo - score of 120 or higher
- International Baccalaureate (IB) – A final grade of 5 or higher on IB English A1 (English A: Language & Literature) or A2 (English A: Literature) course
- Transcripts from an English-speaking high school or an accredited English-speaking post-secondary institution.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Scholarship winners must pay $150 CAD application fee if they accept the scholarship.
IMPORTANT NOTE: These requirements are mandatory, without exception. All documents (except transcript) must be in English and total files cannot exceed 10MB.
- The deadline to apply is September 25, 2023, at 11:00 p.m. CDT. Late submissions or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Individuals who have applied for VFS acting scholarships within the past four years are not eligible to reapply (i.e., Jack Duarte, Damian Alcázar Legacy, Magda Guzman Legacy).
- All scholarships are eligible only for the following start dates: February 26, 2024, April 29, 2024, or June 26, 2024. Please note seats are subject to availability. Once the winner is notified, seat availability for the selected start date must be confirmed.
- Applicants must be at least 19 years old and have graduated from high school on or after 2015.
- Pre-selected finalists will be notified by October 1 - 2, 2023 and must present themselves in person or remote to the Live/Hybrid Audition Tour that will be held in Mexico City and Sao Paulo; the audition dates are October 4 - 11, 2023.
- All materials supplied with the application will not be returned.
- If selected, the applicant must cover their flight, accommodation, meals and international insurance (assess approximate cost of living in Canada). Given the intensive nature of VFS's programs, it's unrealistic for you to plan to work while studying your year at VFS.
- If selected, the applicant must complete and pay an online VFS application (this will be specified by a VFS advisor).
- If any selected winner(s) cannot commit to attending VFS for any reason within a week of being notified that he/she/they have been selected to receive a scholarship, another scholarship winner(s) will be chosen.
- Applicants who have already been accepted into a VFS program can apply for this scholarship; however, this scholarship must be used singularly and cannot be used in combination with any other bursary or scholarship already received. Previous VFS applicants must re-submit their application with a completed scholarship application form.
- In accepting this scholarship, the applicant agrees to become a social ambassador for Vancouver Film School. This includes social media posts and possible video testimonials of your experience during your time at VFS and your successes as VFS alumni.
- All committee decisions are final and irrefutable.
- Winners will be announced from October 4 - 11, 2023
- VFS reserves the right to cancel the full scholarship if there are less than thirty (30) total applicants.
- One (1) full-tuition (100%) scholarship (Acting for Film & Television), one (1) full-tuition (100%) scholarship (Acting Essentials) and two (2) half-tuition (50%) scholarships (Acting for Film & Television) will be awarded per every 30 applicants up to the maximum of three (3) full-tuition and six (6) half-tuition scholarships.
- All committee decisions are final and irrefutable.
- Vancouver Film School reserves the right to cancel this competition at any time, at its sole discretion, in the event of any administrative conflict or error. Vancouver Film School reserves the right to modify the rules of this contest in any way or at any time as long as reasonable notice is given. This competition is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable Federal, Provincial, State, and local laws and regulations.
- Acceptance of a scholarship allows Vancouver Film School to use your name, photograph or likeness and testimonials in print, broadcast, or online media in perpetuity, in any manner in which VFS may deem appropriate in connection with promoting this competition or any other competition or promotion sponsored by VFS, without further compensation.
- By participating in this competition, you agree that Vancouver Film School, members of the Selection Committee and those involved in the development, production, implementation and distribution of this competition and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, service providers, and agencies and their directors, officers, agents, employees, attorneys, and any other person or entity associated with such entities and/or this compassion (hereafter collectively called the “Sponsors”) are not liable for any claims, damages, losses or injuries, including third party claims, arising from or relating to, in whole or in part, this competition, including your entry and participation in this competition, the submission of your application package, the evaluation of your application package, acceptance, use or misuse of the scholarship or any injury to you or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from downloading or receiving via return e-mail any part of this competition information.
- You further agree that you will not hold Vancouver Film School, their affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, agents, employees, attorneys, and any other person or entity associated with Vancouver Film School liable for any claims, losses, damages or injuries, arising from or relating to their use of your name or address for mailing and any other promotional materials. You also agree that in the event of any third-party claims, damages, losses or injuries arising from or relating to this competition, you will indemnify Sponsors from any and all such claims, including the attorney’s fees related thereto. Sponsors shall not be liable for applications that are delayed, lost, misdelivered, marked postage-due, illegible, mutilated, incorrect or incomplete and such entries will not be eligible for this competition.
- This scholarship has no cash value.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to apply. The amount of effort demonstrated in submitting this application shows us how dedicated you are. We wish you the best of luck in pursuing an Acting Scholarship!