- Video game industry icon Victor Lucas has selected a shortlist of 10 exceptionally promising video game designers and programmers out of hundreds of global applicants to be considered for two prestigious full-ride scholarships to the Vancouver Film School Programming and Game Design Programs.
- Lucas selected finalists from around the world based on creative potential and consideration for any hardships or obstacles they’ve overcome in pursuing their creative design dream.
- Lucas will be awarding up to $250,000 USD in total, with a full-tuition scholarship to the VFS Game Design program, Programming for Games, Web & Mobile program, and partial scholarships to all other finalists that were selected this year.
- All 10 shortlisted finalists will receive partial scholarship offers, with 2 full-tuition winners being selected in early June to receive full-scholarships to enroll in the VFS Game Design and Programming for Games, Web & Mobile programs this year, valued at over $50,000 USD each.
2019 VFS Victor Lucas Game Design Global Finalists:
- Olivia Sampaio Ramos – Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Nathan Borges – Barrie ON, Canada
- James Assayag – Vancouver BC, Canada
- Nigel Amenu-Tekaa – Vancoucouver BC, Canada
- Nicholas Rosenthal – Gresham Oregon, USA
2019 VFS Victor Lucas Programming Global Finalists:
- Joao Camargo – Contagem, Brazil
- Sebastian Peters – Cambridge ON, Canada
- Evan Landry – Burnaby BC, Canada
- Blake Young – Calgary AB, Canada
- Alejandro Guereca – Guadalajara, Mexico
(Vancouver, BC) May 23, 2019 – Today VFS and legendary video game industry icon Victor Lucas confirmed ten finalists from around the world for prestigious scholarships to the Vancouver Film School (VFS) Game Design and Programming for Games, Web & Mobile programs. Selected personally by Lucas, these talented student developers will be eligible to attend VFS starting in the 2019 academic school year with the help of a scholarship program put together alongside Lucas himself.
VFS has a long history as a top Global Game Design school, recognized each year in the Princeton Review Journal’s distinguished annual rankings. Further, VFS is recognized as one of the top global Film Schools by both Variety Magazine and Hollywood Reporter Magazine. Vancouver Film School partnered with Lucas to offer this special scholarship, to honor his contributions to the Video Game and electronic entertainment industry for over 30 years and to help support ambitious students who have overcome obstacles and hardships attend a world-class school, taking their first steps towards careers in the entertainment industry.
The Victor Lucas Game Design and Programming scholarships opened February 2019 with student interest in the thousands. From there, an incredible list of hundreds of applicants was put together with the hope of creating a shortlist of finalists from all across the globe, that Lucas would personally select to receive either partial or full-tuition scholarships.
For more information about the scholarships, or visit https://vfs.edu/scholarships-overview-2018
About Vancouver Film School
In 1987, VFS revolutionized entertainment arts education with the introduction of the world’s first one-year intensive film production diploma program. Today, VFS is Canada’s premier post-secondary entertainment arts institution, offering acclaimed and award-winning one-year diploma programs in 3D animation, film, TV, programming, video game, motion and interactive design. For the past 30 years, VFS has been devoted to delivering the highest quality education, and developing the next generation of leaders in the entertainment and creative media industries.
VFS Media Contact:
Christopher Ian Bennett,
Executive Producer & Head of Marketing
Vancouver Film School
Follow VFS on Social Media: