VFS’s signature programs and facilities are at the heart of a creative economy worth $3.4 billion in B.C. alone. From film production and 3D animation to game, digital, and VR/AR design, VFS is shaping the entertainment and media industries’ transformation. In 2019, VFS alumni were credited on 17 of the 20 highest grossing films and on 6 of the 10 best-selling video games worldwide, in a global industry set to generate US$2.3 trillion in revenues in 2020.
Vancouver Film School grads are some of the most successful and sought-after professionals in the entire Makeup Design industry. You will find our alumni working all over the globe, pushing boundaries, discovering new frontiers, winning all kinds of awards and honours, and leading today’s creative economy.
A VFS Makeup Design for Film & Television Education
In 12 months you will graduate with:
- A diploma in Makeup Design for Film & Television
- A comprehensive portfolio
- Access to the VFS Alumni Directory & Job Board
- Industry connections that will help guide your career
Learn the fundamentals of beauty makeup, as well as colour theory and facial anatomy.
Recreate classic decade looks and adapt them for contemporary application. Simulate a full range of injuries and effects.
Learn to define character through hair-laying, wigs, bald caps, airbrushing, and advanced paint techniques.
Pour yourself into life-casts, sculpting, age makeup, and mold-making to create three-dimensional prosthetics.
Create, apply and paint foam latex appliances, masks, master ventilated hair pieces, and human hair lace-front wigs.
Focus on your final portfolio project, and prepare for your career as a makeup artist.
To make sure you have accurate admissions information please select your region based on country of citizenship.
Aug. 2020, Jan. 2021
For more information on payments and financial aid, please contact us.
For more information on payments and financial aid, go to Finances.
You will be asked to submit one of the following along with your application. Your advisor can help with selecting the best option.
- All applicants are required to submit a maximum 500 word letter of intent and a portfolio. Professional makeup experience is not a pre-requisite. Successful applicants will be chosen based on their expression of passion, talent (whether it be proven or potential), and commitment. Be encouraged to communicate what you feel best conveys your background, your potential, and why you have a profound desire to attend VFS
- A portfolio that consists of photographs that best illustrate your artistic vision in makeup design (maximum 12 pieces). These are generally images/pictures that are a variety of make-ups that you have applied on other people. For example, some may be beauty and some may be injuries or FX. You can also include sketches, paintings or photos of sculptures.
When you talk to your Advisor, let them know that you've completed the Foundation program and they will put a copy of your diploma in your file for you.
While training at VFS, students are immersed in the Makeup Design industry, and spend a lot of hands-on time creating professional-quality work. And, nothing is a greater testament to the incomparable industry resources and career preparation that define VFS’s education model, than the top quality work our students produce. Here, a portfolio of outstanding work is just the beginning. Just take a look.
VFS doesn’t just teach you about the industry, it IS the industry. With veteran instructors, mentors and an education Advisory Board recruited straight from the professional world, we are able to constantly update our award-winning curriculum to keep up with an ever-evolving industry. Plus, students also have lots of opportunities to connect and network with industry leaders during special workshop sessions, training presentations, and industry social events hosted by VFS.
As a Makeup Design student, you'll spend your year at our three makeup campuses (including a fully equipped FX lab for fabrication). You'll have access to the campuses, Resource Centre, and computer labs after school and on weekends for additional practice time or outside projects.
We're here to help you submit an application that best reflects your abilities, and gives you the best chance of being accepted. We've helped thousands of people complete a single year at VFS by answering questions like these:
- What does VFS look for in an application?
- Can I apply if I haven't met all the requirements yet?
- What does this part of the application form mean?
- How much does my program cost?
- Can I pay in installments?
- How much will I need for living expenses in Vancouver?
- How do I get to Vancouver?
- Where will I live in Vancouver?
- Do I need a visa?
Sign up for VFS Premiere, the best way to be first-in-line at Vancouver Film School. Membership is free, just opt-into our e-mail list and you’ll get exclusive first-look access before everyone else.