Foundation Visual Art & Design
Online Certificate Courses
Try something new, top up your skills, and build a powerful creative portfolio.
Register for VFS’s Foundation Visual Art & Design Online Certificate Courses to gain foundational experience in the creative industries and acquire the prerequisites for Vancouver Film School’s one-year, full-time programs.
We welcome enthusiasts, high school students, mature students, and anyone looking to make a career change. When you finish an online certificate course at VFS, you will receive a digital certificate of completion confirming your experience.
* Upon successful completion of this CONNECT course, the cost can be deducted from any full-time Advanced Production program tuition at VFS. Only one discounted may be applied. Contact a VFS Advisor for eligibility.
**Students must confirm they are at least 16 years old at the beginning of the course in order to register.
***Please note that courses may be cancelled at any time due to low enrolment. Upon cancellation, registrants will receive a full refund.
To meet your industry instructor(s), click here.
If you have any questions, please contact: email@example.com
Introduction to Storyboarding (online)
Storyboarding is the “ground zero” of visual storytelling and involves the meticulous process of planning out the look of a film, TV series, commercial, video game and beyond through still images, traditionally hand drawn. Directors and cinematographers use these invaluable assets to plan out the physical execution of a creative project.
In this 7-week course, you will learn the fundamentals of this vital pre-production process, used in a variety of visual media projects from animation to live action and even comic books! With an emphasis on shot composition & storytelling, the course will allow you to develop essential filmmaking skills. By the end of this course, you’ll be thinking and working like a filmmaker before you even reach for a camera and will have the ability to create a full storyboard and turn it into a video animatic.
- Learn how to interpret a script visually.
- Learn how to properly set up a professional-level storyboard.
- Discover how to best tell a story visually through a variety of dynamic and meaningful camera angles.
- Learn basic editing techniques.
- Develop the skill of turning a storyboard into a video animatic.
- Computer with dual monitors (recommended), microphone & camera
- Stable internet connection
- Access to at least a trial version of Adobe Premiere
- Be able to confidently write and speak in English
- Basic drawing skills are an asset
- Experience with the Adobe Suite is an asset (i.e., Premiere, Photoshop, Storyboarder)
Students are not required to have any previous training or experience.
Dates: January 8 to February 19, 2024
Duration: 7-week course, one online class per week
Time: Mondays, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. PST
*Feb 19 moved to Feb 20 (Holiday)