Acting for Film & Television
Online Certificate Courses
Evolve your skills. Get direct experience in acting.
In this foundational course, you will connect with yourself and other actors around the world who want to take the first steps in discovering and developing their craft.
We welcome enthusiasts, high school students, mature students, and anyone looking to make a career change. When you finish an online certificate course at Vancouver Film School, you will receive a digital certificate of completion confirming your experience.
7-week course, every Saturday, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. PST
**Students must confirm they are at least 18 years old at the beginning of the workshop in order to register.
**Please note that courses may be cancelled at any time due to low enrolment. Upon cancellation, registrants will receive a full refund.
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction to Acting: Connecting to Craft (online)
In this seven-week introductory course, you will explore how to approach acting play and a short text such as a monologue. Each class will begin with important core actor voice and body work. You will be introduced to basic acting and camera technique, and be guided through how to apply them from your home.
In a combination of online and offline exercises in text, story, and authenticity, you will complete your first take of a self-tape audition. In core actor sessions, focused on vital voice and body techniques, you will experiment in how to create your own pre-performance warm-up.
By the end of this course, you will gain insight and confidence in yourself as an actor, understand text analysis essentials, perform a short monologue self-tape audition to use when submitting to agents/casting directors/showreels, as well as gain an awareness of how actors work in front of a camera.
Learning Outcomes – Participants will:
- Gain confidence in yourself as an actor.
- Understand text analysis essentials.
- Identify and engage your body/voice as instruments.
- Learn and perform a short monologue.
- Identify basic camera techniques.
- Develop an awareness for working in front of the camera.
- Apply your knowledge to an on-camera self-tape audition.
- Computer with microphone and camera
- Any video capturing device with sound (cell phone or other)
- 5x8 ft. space (approx.) for some limited movement work
- Stable Internet connection
- English Level: all participants are required to speak and write English at an acceptable level. In order to succeed in any VFS program, you will need to understand technical terms and be conversant enough in English to participate in presentations and in-depth discussion. For this program we recommend an IELTS Band 6.0 – Academic level or equivalent.
Saturdays, January 30 to March 13, 2021 – **SOLD OUT**
Saturdays, April 10 to May 22, 2021 – **ONLINE workshop**