- Accomplished Pixar animator and director Michal Makarewicz has selected a shortlist of six exceptionally promising animators out of over more than 500 global applicants to be considered for prestigious full-ride animation scholarships to Vancouver Film School in Canada.
- Makarewicz selected finalists from around the world based on creative potential and consideration for any hardships or obstacles they’ve overcome in pursuing their creative dream.
- Through this scholarship, Makarewicz will award more than $250,000 USD in scholarship and partial-scholarship funding to the #1 ranked Animation & VFX school in the world, the VFS School of 3D Animation & VFX
- All six shortlisted finalists will receive a partial scholarship offer with one final full-tuition winner being selected from the group by June 1st, 2019 by Makarewicz personally. That winner will receive a full-scholarship for enrollment to the VFS 3D Animation & Visual Effects program this year, valued at over $50,000 USD.
2019 VFS Animation Scholarship Global Finalist Shortlist:
- Lucas Benites – Curtiba Brazil
- Alexander Santiago - Las Cruces, New Mexico USA
- Niya Alexandria Stephensen – Phoenix, Arizona USA
- Kathleen Helter – Port Moody, BC Canada
- Vankata Mantha – Fort McMurray, Alberta Canada
- Briana Boyko – Edmonton, Alberta Canada
(Vancouver, BC) May 17, 2019 – Today VFS and acclaimed Pixar animator and director Michal Makarewicz confirmed six finalists from around the world for prestigious scholarships to the Vancouver Film School (VFS) 3D Animation & Visual Effects program. Selected personally by Makarewicz, these talented student animators will be eligible to attend VFS starting in the 2019 academic school year with the help of a scholarship program put together alongside Makarewicz himself.
Recognized as the #1 global Animation & VFX school by ACR Magazine, and Best Film School 2019 by both Variety Magazine and Hollywood Reporter Magazine, Vancouver Film School partnered with Makarewicz to offer this special scholarship, helping him support creative students who have overcome obstacles and hardships with attendance to a world-class school, guiding their first steps towards careers in the entertainment industry.
The Michal Macarewicz animation scholarships opened February 2019 with student interest in the thousands. From there, an incredible list of more than 500 applicants was put together with the hope of creating a shortlist of finalists from all across the globe, that Makarewicz would personally select to receive either partial or full-tuition scholarships.
For more information about the scholarships, or visit https://vfs.edu/scholarships-overview-2018
About Vancouver Film School
In 1987, VFS revolutionized entertainment arts education with the introduction of the world’s first one-year intensive film production diploma program. Today, VFS is Canada’s premier post-secondary entertainment arts institution, offering acclaimed and award-winning one-year diploma programs in 3D animation, film, TV, programming, video game, motion and interactive design. For the past 30 years, VFS has been devoted to delivering the highest quality education, and developing the next generation of leaders in the entertainment and creative media industries.
VFS Media Contact:
Christopher Ian Bennett,
Executive Producer & Head of Marketing
Vancouver Film School
Follow VFS on Social Media: