Instructor, Classical Animation - Position Information
- Classical Animation
- Vancouver, Canada
- Part Time
- # of Positions:
Work at VFS
There is no such thing as an ordinary day when you work at Vancouver Film School. It’s a creative and fast-paced environment where you’re part of recruiting and educating the next generation of actors, filmmakers, video game developers and creative thinkers. Our unique culture is all about celebrating the pure passion and unwavering perseverance of our students as they go through their own amazing personal journeys towards a career in the entertainment arts. Constantly evolving and updating to meet industry demands, VFS believes results matter, and that extends from our classrooms and experienced faculty to our hard-working marketing, admissions, and support departments — and well beyond. If you’d like to join our team, simply browse the open positions below. If none of them seem to fit your particular skillsets, but you think you belong at VFS, apply here. We can’t wait to hear from you.
We are looking for a part-time Instructor for our signature Classical Animation program at Vancouver Film School.
The Instructor has a wide range of 2D and digital animation knowledge and understands the principles of movement and life through a traditional medium. The successful candidate brings rich experiences in the film industry and enjoys crafting a story based on traditional techniques with a strong foundation in Toon Boom Harmony. The Instructor can act independently, is a team player, and possesses a strong sense of commitment, dedication, and responsibility to the VFS model of education.
Through our Classical Animation program with a focus on traditional, digital and hand-drawn character animation, we inspire students to learn key industry skills and experiences to enable drawings to come to life on screen. This is a great opportunity for you to directly educate the next generation of animators in a supportive and fast-paced environment.
Reporting to the Head of Animation & Visual Effects, the Instructor is responsible for delivering curriculum effectively, professionally, with an awareness of diversity and inclusion, while providing specific feedback to students.
Note: This is currently a part time hourly term position. We encourage you to apply directly on our website and it’s a bonus if you are currently working in an animation role or studio!
- Provide students with instruction based upon existing curriculum and course syllabus.
- Class attendance and grading.
- Respectful, inclusive, professional guidance of students where appropriate.
- Punctual and conscientious management of classes.
- Understanding of Moodle Learning system (grading, attendance, assignments, Lesson support materials).
- Collaboration with Senior Instructor and faculty on progression of courses.
- Collaboration with administration staff on resources and equipment issues.
- Engagement in other workshop/initiatives and opportunities to support VFS as available.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of Animation & Visual Effects.
- Post-secondary certificate, diploma, degree plus minimum three years of industry experience or minimum ten years of industry experience.
- Strong proficiency in Toon Boom Harmony (animation software).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, and Zoom.
- Ability to lead workshops, lectures and seminars.
- Portfolio demonstrating a high caliber of professional work.
- Excellent communication, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of the current industry and animation education trends and evolution.