Emily Bett Rickards - Acting Scholarships
Emily Bett Rickards to award two full-tuition scholarships and up to $250,000 in additional scholarship funding to in-need students hoping to attend Vancouver Film School’s Acting for Film & Television and Acting Essentials programs in 2019.
What It's All About
Since 2012, Emily Bett Rickards’ portrayal of Felicity Smoak in the DC television universe has made her a household name, working on Arrow, The Flash, Vixen, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl. Celebrated for her work on-camera, she has also built a reputation as a community-minded mentor, taking time to meet and talk with avid supporters, offering guidance for new actors, and participating in discussions with many looking to enter the film & television industries. As a graduate of Vancouver Film School, Emily stands out as the right partner for these new acting program scholarships and as a guide for aspiring actors at Vancouver Film School.
Acting for Film & Television Program
We’ll get you ready for the screen and beyond in just one year. VFS’s acclaimed one-year Acting program not only gives you in-depth training in camera skills, audition techniques, movement, voice and improvisation, but also what it really takes to make it in the film and TV industry. You’ll acquire professional-level performance techniques and industry-ready audition skills, all while studying voice acting, and gaining experience in Vancouver’s largest performance capture studio.
Acting Essentials Program
Spend four months exploring the actor’s craft. The four-month Acting Essentials program at VFS lets you dive into the skills necessary to build the foundation for an acting career by mastering fundamental on camera and audition techniques, voice, movement, script analysis and developing a versatile actor’s toolbox. No previous acting experience required.
- VFS will be awarding scholarships valued at more than $250K to creative students that want to become actors and attend the prestigious Vancouver Film School in 2019 in honor of Arrow Actress Emily Bett Rickards.
- She will be awarding 1 full-tuition scholarship to one applicant for the 12 month Acting for Film & Television Program as well as 1 full-tuition Scholarship to one applicant for the 4-month Acting Essentials Program in Emily’s name and an additional awarding of up to $250,000 in partial scholarships to runner-up applicants as well.
- Scholarship opens March 12, 2019 and closes 11:59pm (PST) April 14, 2019
- Scholarship is open to student applicants that are 17 years of age or older at the time of application.
- Scholarship is open to applicants from anywhere in the world. (*Foreign applicants outside Canada will be subject to student study permits and visas etc.)
- Emily Bett Rickards will select and announce the winners of the 2019 scholarship. Applicants will need to be enrolled at VFS for one of 6 intakes in 2019.
- The application process is simple, and is broken into two very important parts:
- STEP 1 – Official Scholarship Application
- STEP 2 – Official Application to Enroll at Vancouver Film School (*Note to applicants – there is a standard $75 application processing fee for this section and it can take up to 30 minutes to complete. You will be prompted to begin this separate application once you’ve completed STEP 1.) You can review it directly here: Online Application
- The full application process will require applicants to provide standard contact details and background information for review and consideration by VFS and Emily Bett Rickards:
- CREATIVE SUBMISSION PT.1
- Link to 1 - 3 minute video of you performing a contemporary monologue. Please begin the video by introducing yourself and why you selected your monologue.
- Additionally, provide us a link to 1 - 3 minute video of you performing a contemporary scene. Please begin the video by describing why you selected your scene.
- PERSONAL SUBMISSION PT.1
- In 100 words or less, tell us why you want to be an actor and what your dream role would be.
- PERSONAL SUBMISSION PT.2
- In 100 words or less, tell us about a significant hardship you have had to overcome in your life, or a significant obstacle standing in the way of your creative education.
- PERSONAL SUBMISSION PT.3
- Vancouver is considered one of the best cities in the world to live, but it’s also an expensive city compared to many others. We inform every applicant that it can cost you at least $20,000 CAD a year for basic food, travel and accommodations. This scholarship will only cover your school tuition costs. Tell us in your words your plan to be able to make this opportunity work for you financially for 12 months.
- CREATIVE SUBMISSION PT.1
Upload your files then “share” using the share link. We recommend Dropbox or Google Drive for easy review by our scholarship selection committee. When sharing, set the sharing permissions so anyone with the link can view the file/document. If we cannot view your files your scholarship application will be considered incomplete.
- Upon successful completion, applicants will be given a confirmation of completion notification email.
- Part 2 - Upon successful submission of application, a VFS Admissions advisor will contact you to connect personally and provide you with an introduction of the school and life in Vancouver.
- Winners will be notified directly by Vancouver Film School and will be announced publicly by VFS shortly thereafter.