Link to your portfolio. Do you have any creative or artistic work samples that might relate broadly or specifically to the program of your choice?
3D Animation & Visual Effects / Animation Concept Art / Classical Animation
You will be required to submit a visual art portfolio of your work.
Send us samples of your work that can include still-life drawings, life drawings, character or environment sketches, and 3D computer artwork (e.g., Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya, etc.). Maximum 12 pieces. Specific to the 3D Animation & Visual Effects program, we expect that you have some prior 3D experience.
Acting for Film & Television
You will be required to demonstrate post-secondary acting experience and a recorded audition that meets Department standards.
Upload your audition to a video hosting site (YouTube, Vimeo, a personal website, etc) and send a link to the school.
Please note that the audition must be specifically created for VFS according to the Content Requirements provided below and must be clearly identified as such.
The tape must be a maximum six minutes in length and must be in the following format:
- State your name on camera
- Demonstrate a contemporary monologue in less than one minute
- Demonstrate a short contemporary scene (applicant should be on camera and the reader off camera) in less than one minute
- If desired, provide a maximum one-minute demo of a special skill (i.e., singing, dance, physical action, etc.)
- Provide answers to the following questions in a maximum of two minutes:
- Why did you choose your audition pieces?
- How long have you wanted to act?
- Who inspired you to want to pursue an acting career?
- What are your strengths & weaknesses as an actor?
- If you can't be an actor, what would you choose to be?
See this video on How to Submit a Self Tape
All you need is a passion for acting and the arts, a strong desire to express yourself and tell stories through performance, and a willingness to collaborate with peers and instructors. Acting Essentials is ideal for those who feel a need to expand their foundation as an actor and for those without a portfolio sufficient to gain entrance into VFS's one-year Acting for Film & Television program.
You will be required to submit a portfolio of your digital and visual work. Your portfolio should demonstrate your familiarity with a range of visual work (e.g., print design, web design, etc.).
You will be required to submit a synopsis of a film project that you are passionate about making (no longer than one page). Provide the film genre and utilize references to other movies to explain how you would make the film. Explain the concept, vision or idea. In addition, provide a 1-page (maximum) outline of the story.
Alternatively, if you have made a film before, please submit a copy or a link to the film online (no more than two films). Ensure that you specify your involvement in the film, as well as any screenings or awards.
Foundation Visual Art & Design
There are no program-specific entrance requirements. The Foundation Visual Art & Design program is ideal for those needing to develop a portfolio required to enter one of VFS's professional programs.
You will be required to submit a synopsis of a game that you are passionate about creating. Explain the concept, vision, or idea. Include the genre of game you would utilize. Make references to other games to explain how you would make your game (one page maximum).
In addition, provide an outline detailing your story, possible levels, and characters (one page maximum). Finally, provide diagrams explaining any features or game mechanics (one to two pages maximum) and a simplified map of the game world described in your synopsis.
Makeup Design for Film & Television
You will be required to submit a maximum 500-word letter of intent and a portfolio. Be encouraged to communicate what you feel best conveys your background, your potential, and why you have a profound desire to attend VFS. A portfolio that consists of photographs that best illustrate your artistic vision in makeup design (maximum 12 pieces). These are generally images/pictures that are a variety of make-ups that you have applied on other people.
Programming for Games, Web & Mobile
You will be required to submit a technical portfolio that contains 1-3 examples of programming work. Include a 1-2 page excerpt of source code you want to show off, and a 1–2-page descriptive summary for each project. You must also have intermediate PC computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office. Familiarity with HTML is an asset.
Sound Design for Visual Media
You will be required to submit a letter of intent (maximum 500 word) on why you wish to take the Sound Design program. This should detail your passion for Sound, and why you feel you would be successful in the industry. Detail any previous experience in music or sound recording, sound mixing, etc. Outline why you feel you can be successful in sound design. If you have examples of audio work you have done, this should also be provided. You can send a weblink to a sound file or a compressed audio file (mp3 etc).
VR/AR Design & Development
Writing for Film, Television & Games
You will be required to submit a one-page (maximum) synopsis of an original feature film, television, or video game project that you are passionate about making. Provide the genre and use references to other movies, television shows or games to explain how you would write the project. Explain the concept, vision, or idea. In addition, provide a minimum of two and a maximum of four other creative writing samples in their original form (maximum 20 total pages).
We recommend Dropbox or Google Drive for easy review by our scholarship selection committee. Upload your files then “share” using the share link. When sharing, set the sharing permissions to “public” or “anyone with the link can view the file/document.”
If we cannot view your files your scholarship application will be considered incomplete.
Personal Submission PT. 1
- Q1 – In 100 words or less, tell us what your dream career is, why, and what your dream project would be?
Personal Submission PT. 2
- Q2 – In 100 words or less, tell us about how you plan to use your VFS education to bring awareness to your Indigenous culture and stories within our country’s multidimensional creative landscape.
Personal Submission PT. 3
- Q3 – When in-class instruction is allowed, we inform every applicant that Vancouver is considered one of the best cities in the world to live, but it’s also an expensive city compared to many others. It can cost you at least C$30,000 a year for basic food, travel, and accommodations. This scholarship will only cover partial school tuition costs. Tell us in your words how you plan to be able to make this opportunity work for you financially for 12 months.
Upon successful completion, applicants will be given a confirmation of completion notification email.