Entry-Level Online Workshops
Evolve your skills. From portfolio to career development.
Whether you have prior training in a related field or no experience at all, our entry-level workshops have everything you need to take meaningful steps towards portfolio development for post-secondary study and your dream career. We welcome enthusiasts, high school students, mature students, and anyone looking to make a career change. Developed by VFS's team of industry professionals, these workshops will give you insight into what the Game Design program at VFS can help you achieve.
4-day course, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. PST
**Students must confirm they are at least 16 years old at the beginning of the workshop in order to register.
**Please note that courses may be cancelled at any time due to low enrolment. Upon cancellation, registrants will receive a full refund.
Intro to Game Design: Blender Boot Camp (online)
Learn how to create 3D artwork in Blender, an open source (free) software preferred by many professionals, hobbyists, and small teams in the industry. By the end of this intensive course you will understand the basics of working with Blender and 3D in general, as well as be able to create a 3D model, rig, materials, animations, and renders that can be used for video games, animation videos, and 3D printing.
Learning Outcomes - Participants will:
- Understand how to use Blender and its many features.
- Create a 3D model that can be exported to other software.
- Rig and animate characters to give them personality.
- Create renders to showcase their 3D models.
- Understand the basics of 3D art and the 3D pipeline as a whole.
- Receive resources and guidance on where to look to keep learning and improving at their own pace after the workshop.
- Latest version of Blender (download here)
- Computer with dual monitors (recommended), microphone, and camera (optional)
- Stable Internet connection
- For system requirements, see blender.org/download/requirements/
June 27, 28, July 4 & July 5, 2020 – **ONLINE workshop**
Modelling by Erika Moya, based on David Wardell's The Old Man