School of Animation & Visual Effects
Entry-Level Online Workshop
Learn new skills for your portfolio and career development.
VFS CONNECT online workshops have everything you need to take meaningful steps towards portfolio development for post-secondary study and your dream career. Developed by a team of industry professionals, our workshops offer a glimpse into the tools and fundamental techniques of the creative industries.
We welcome enthusiasts, high school students, mature students, and anyone looking to make a career change.
**Students must confirm they are at least 16 years old at the beginning of the workshop in order to register.
**Please note that courses may be cancelled at any time due to low enrolment. Upon cancellation, registrants will receive a full refund.
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction to Photoshop for Digital Illustration (online)
Develop your confidence and explore the potential of Adobe Photoshop in this introductory workshop. Adobe Photoshop is the industry-standard tool used by creative professionals in digital design, animation, concept art, and many more industries to illustrate, digitally paint, and manipulate images.
- Understand how to use different approaches to painting and drawing in Photoshop.
- Learn the guiding principles behind painting digitally and how they relate to other digital disciplines.
- Learn how to choose the appropriate tools and equipment for drawing 2D landscapes and characters.
- Understand the process of organizing files to work in a production friendly way.
- Understand how to separate layers in Photoshop, and how to separate background from character.
- Use different tools and settings within Photoshop, including the associated shortcuts.
- Understand concepts such as bit depth, colour modes, layers, blending modes, and masks.
- Be able to initiate and complete self-guided projects.
- Adobe Photoshop (available for a free trial)
- Stable internet connection
- Computer with dual monitors (recommended), microphone & camera
Students are not required to have any previous training or experience.
Dates: January 13 – 14 & 20 – 21, 2024
Duration: 4-day online course
Time: Saturdays & Sundays, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. PDT