Michal Makarewicz - 3D Animation Scholarship
Michal Makarewicz to award up to $250,000 in scholarships for creative students to attend Vancouver Film School in 2019
What It's All About
Michal Makarewicz has been an Animator at Pixar Animation Studios for over 15 years, working on projects such as The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Toy Story 3, Up, Brave, Inside Out, The Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 4. He worked as a Directing Animator on Cars 2 and Finding Dory, and as a Supervising Animator on Toy Story of Terror and Dug's Special Mission. With this new scholarship Vancouver Film School recognizes the contributions of Michal Makarewicz.
The 3D Animation program breaks new ground by connecting new animators with traditional method, next generation storytelling, and cutting edge technology. This scholarship will help recipients blaze their trail into the creative economy, prepared with the tools they need to bring new stories to life.
- Michal Makarewicz is awarding more than $250K to applicants that want to become animators and attend the prestigious Vancouver Film School in 2019.
- He will be awarding 1 full tuition scholarship to one applicant and up to $250K partial scholarships to runner-up applicants as well.
- Scholarship opens March 4, 2019 and closes 11:59pm (PST) April 14, 2019
- Scholarship is open to student applicants that are 17 years of age or older at the time of application.
- Scholarship is open to applicants from anywhere in the world. (*Foreign applicants outside Canada will be subject to student visa permits, etc.)
- Michal Makarewicz will personally select and announce the shortlisted finalists and subsequent winner of the 2019 scholarship. Applicants will need to be enrolled at VFS for the 2019 school year.
- The application process is simple, and is broken into two very important submission steps.
No official scholarship application will be considered or reviewed until the applicant successfully completes both STEP 1 and STEP 2.
- STEP 1 – Official Scholarship Application (Details provided below)
- STEP 2 – Official Application to Enroll at Vancouver Film School (*Note to applicants – there is a standard $75 application processing fee for this section and it can take up to 30 minutes to complete. You will be prompted to begin this separate application once you’ve completed STEP 1.) You can review it directly here: Online Application
- The full application process will require applicants to provide standard contact details and background information for review and consideration by VFS and Michal Makarewicz:
- CREATIVE SUBMISSION PT.1
- Show us your artistic talent! Have you got any kind of creative or artistic samples of work you’ve done as it might relate broadly or specifically to Video Animation? Include links to anything you might have that you want us to consider. (Examples of acceptable submissions could be: Art drawings and samples, napkin sketches, pictures from your portfolio, links to your online work or digital portfolio, doodles, etc.)
- CREATIVE SUBMISSION PT.2
- (Short Answer) Please submit a brief synopsis of an animated story you’d like to tell one day. In 100 words or less, explain the concept, vision, or idea. You must outline your story, describe the style of animation you’ve imagined, and include any details about the setting or characters in your story. Feel free to reference other animated projects that have inspired your story.
- PERSONAL SUBMISSION PT.1
- In 100 Words or less, tell us why you want to be a professional animator?
- PERSONAL SUBMISSION PT.2
- In 100 Words or less, tell us about a significant hardship you have had to overcome in your life, or a significant obstacle standing in the way of your creative education.
- PERSONAL SUBMISSION PT.3
- Vancouver is considered one of the best cities in the world to live and learn, but it’s also an expensive city compared to many others. We inform every applicant that it can cost you at up to $20,000 CDN a year for basic food, travel and accommodations. This scholarship will only cover your school tuition costs – tell us how you plan to support yourself financially for 12 months in Vancouver.
- CREATIVE SUBMISSION PT.1
Please Note: Submissions will remain the sole property of the applicant and will be deleted 30 days after the scholarship closes.
Upload your files then “share” using the share link. We recommend Dropbox or Google Drive for easy review by our scholarship selection committee. When sharing, set the sharing permissions so anyone with the link can view the file/document. If we cannot view your files your scholarship application will be considered incomplete.
- Upon successful completion, applicants will be given a confirmation of completion notification email. Winners will be notified directly by Vancouver Film School and will be announced publicly by VFS shortly thereafter.
- Winners will be notified directly by Vancouver Film School and will be announced publicly by VFS shortly thereafter.