The Roberta Williams Women In Game Design Scholarship & Work Experience Contract
Vancouver Film School, in partnership with The Coalition and Blackbird Interactive, is proud to announce a new scholarship and work experience package — an amazing opportunity for two aspiring female-identifying game designers.
We recognize the need for more perspectives in creating video game content and our hope with this unique scholarship is to help find and foster those diverse voices in our industry.
The Roberta Williams Women in Game Design Scholarship and Work Experience Contract is a $250,000 fund established by Vancouver Film School. Two students will benefit from full tuition at VFS in our game design program and work closely with The Coalition or Blackbird Interactive where each student will receive private mentorship and, upon graduation, a paid six month work contract resulting in a game credit.
Roberta Williams is a retired game designer who pioneered the graphic adventure genre in the ’80s and ’90s. Her games, such as King’s Quest, have influenced the design and narrative in thousands of games, including Gears of War and the Homeworld series. The company she co-founded, Sierra On-Line, would also go on to publish dozens of significant games such as Half-Life. Roberta is now out of the public eye, but her creative influence still echoes in the games being produced today.
Vancouver Film School, The Coalition and Blackbird Interactive hope to find the next Roberta Williams: an inspired, talented game designer that will innovate and push our medium to new heights!
VFS will be awarding scholarships valued at more than $250K to creative students that want to attend the prestigious Vancouver Film School in 2019.
- Scholarship announcement and submission opens on June 25, 2019
- Closes July 31, 2019 at 12 a.m. PST
- VFS will be awarding 2 full-tuition scholarships to two applicants with several additional awards ranging from $1,000 to $30,000
- Scholarship is open to student applicants that are 17 years or older at the time of application.
- Scholarship is open to female and female identifying applicants from anywhere in the world. (*foreign applicants outside North America will be subject to student study permits and visas etc.)
- At the end of August, 2019 VFS will select and announce the winners of the 2019 scholarship.
- Blackbird Interactive, The Coalition and VFS will be active participants in the selection of students for the scholarship. Final selection will come down to representatives from these three organizations.
Applicants will need to be enrolled at VFS for one of 2 intakes: January 6, 2020 or May 4, 2020
Work Contract Details:
Recipients of the scholarship will automatically qualify for a six month game design work contract at The Coalition or Blackbird Interactive pending capability to work in British Columbia. While studying at VFS, recipients will also enjoy mentorship from working professionals from the two companies at their respective studio locations.
- Upon successful graduation, students will begin their work contract at one of the two studios.
- Recipients will know which studio they will be working with shortly after candidate selection.
- While studying at VFS The Coalition and Blackbird Interactive will provide monthly mentorship sessions at their respective studios allowing students to see how games are made while they study.
- Recipients will be working onsite in Vancouver with either The Coalition at their location in Yaletown or with Blackbird at their location on Great Northern Way in the Emily Carr campus.
- Recipients who work with either company will receive a game credit on the title(s) they contribute to.
- Recipients will be paid fair-market pay for their work as a designer during the contract.
The application process is simple, and is broken into two very important parts:
- Part 1 – Official Scholarship Application
- Part 2 – Official Application to enroll at Vancouver Film School
Note to applicants: Once part 1 is completed you will be prompted to fill in the official application to VFS. There is a standard $75 CAD application processing fee for this section and it can take up to 30 minutes to complete.
Application Process will require applicants to provide general contact and background information and provide the following information for review and consideration by VFS
CREATIVE SUBMISSION PT.1
Link to creative or artistic samples of work you’ve done related to video game design. (art examples, demo’s, etc… Anything to demonstrate your current creative potential)
CREATIVE SUBMISSION PT.2
Link to brief synopsis of a video game that you are passionate about creating.
- In 500 words or less, tell us what you think the future of Gaming looks like and why you’re excited about where the industry is going.
- In 500 words or less, tell us about a personal obstacle you’ve had to overcome in the last few years and how it’s impacted your life (could be personal, professional, physical, financial, anything).
- Vancouver is considered one of the best cities in the world to live, but it’s also an expensive city compared to many others. We inform every applicant that it can cost you at least $30,000 CAD a year for basic food, travel and accommodations. This scholarship will only cover your school tuition costs. Tell us in your words your plan to be able to make this opportunity work for you financially for 12 months.
Upon successful completion, applicants will be given a confirmation of completion notification email.
Upon successful submission of application, a VFS Admissions advisor will contact you to connect personally and provide you with an introduction of the school and life in Vancouver.
Winners announced end of August, 2019.
Note: No official scholarship application will be considered or reviewed unless both parts are successfully completed by the applicant.