What is VR/AR?
VFS introduces a new progressive immersive technologies curriculum in virtual (VR) and augmented (AR) reality. Build experiential models for practical applications in a variety of rapidly evolving sectors including health care, engineering, tech, education, real estate, and entertainment. Enhance your art, design, programming and storytelling skills while solving real world workplace challenges with applied industry applications.
About the Course
Learn how to create immersive experiences for the industry of your choice. Using the Unreal and Unity Game Engines, you will learn everything it takes to create a VR/AR experience from the design and research phase, to asset creation, to programming and production.
Who should join this program?
- People who want to apply their technical and artistic skills to solve real world problems in various industries beyond games and entertainment.
- People who are working in industries disrupted by innovative technologies and want to get ahead of the curve. (Real Estate, Finance, Health Care…etc.)
- 8 months
- 10 courses & 2 electives
- Starts April 2019 (CAD 22,000 domestic/CAD 33,000 international)
- 19 years of age or older
- Successful completion of high school or GED equivalent (bachelor’s degree preferred)
- Prior learning (e.g., secondary, post-secondary or other) in computing and/or digital media are preferred
- Familiarity with Unity and/or Unreal Game Engines is an asset
- Submit at least 1 example of source code along with a 1 page document that describes the code
- Submit 2-3 examples of 3D animation or modeling
For more about language requirements and other information for international students, visit the International Students page.
- Trends in VR/AR Development
- Human Centered Design
- Asset Creation for VR/AR
- Unity 1
- Unreal 1
Electives (pick one per term)
- Big Idea – VR/AR Incubator Project
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Understanding VR/AR
- User Experience and Interface Design
- Production Team
- Unity 2
- Unreal 2
- Data Visualization for Asset Creators
- Data Visualization for Programmers
The VR/AR Economy
- The number of VR/AR companies based in Vancouver have increased from 15 to 200 in the last 3 years.
- The BC Tech Association has estimated that there will be 35,000 new jobs to fill in the VR/AR industry by 2021.
- In 2022, the AR/VR market is expected to reach a market size of 209.2 billion US dollars (worldwide).
FX Supervisor, 3D Artist, Level Designer, Unreal Software Engineer, Game Engineer, UX Designer, UI Designer, Information Architect, UX Engineer, Concept Artist, Producer, VR/AR/MR Developer, Graphic Designer, Virtual Experience Designer, Prototyper, Computer Vision Manager, Interaction Designer, Technical Animator.
Education, Aerospace and Defense, Commercial, Civic, Tech, Health Care, Manufacturing, Design, Architecture, Real Estate, Entertainment.