At Vancouver Film School we aspire to help our students find a home away from home. While renting in Vancouver can be expensive, we aim to provide convenient accommodations, allowing you to focus on academic and personal growth.
Our Housing Coordinator’s well-established connections with landlords in Vancouver will help your search for accommodations that meet your needs and budget. Whether renting your own apartment, sharing with roommates or living in a homestay, excellent options are available for you to choose from.
For any questions regarding housing, please contact our Housing Coordinator, Jay Lee.
VFS Housing Services are only for students (international or domestic) 19 years of age and older. Student minors cannot legally sign tenant agreements with landlords and rental management companies.
Full acceptance to Vancouver Film School is first necessary to apply for housing. The VFS Housing Department begins contacting students 2 months prior to program start date. Once the housing email inquiry is received, please inform us if you require housing immediately.
VFS Students under 19 years of age are considered “minors” in the province of B.C. and must be cared for by an adult.
VFS Housing Services are available for students (international or domestic) who are 19 years and older, as student minors cannot legally sign tenant agreements with landlords and rental management companies.
Minor-aged International students require a custodian. For information about custodianship, click here.
Minor-aged VFS Students can choose to stay in homestay or find accommodations on their own.
Vancouver’s rental costs vary depending on the location, size, and condition of an accommodation. Rent begins on the 1st day of the month. Apartments normally come unfurnished, aside from a stove and fridge. Heat and hot water are typically included with rent, while electricity, Internet, TV and Phone Services often carry extra fees.Can I find accommodations close to campus?
Vancouver has many housing options. Accommodations can be found within walking distances and up to 30 minute bus or Skytrain rides. Closer locations to VFS are typically more expensive. Use TransLink’s website for up-to-date transit routes and schedules. www.translink.ca.
|Shared with roommates||$650+|
Check the link below in order to view price trends in the Metro Vancouver housing market.
- Email email@example.com
- Send a $350 Housing Fee Payment through credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express), wire transfer, or direct transfer to your VFS account.
- One (1) housing consultation.
- Up to 3 housing options supplied including photos of the accommodations offered to you.
- Information on housing regulations.
- Representation—VFS Housing staff works with the Landlord and supplies them with all necessary documentation and information.
- Tenancy and/or Lease Agreement exchange support.
- Receipt and delivery of your security deposit and first month’s rent to secure your accommodation (should you choose to pay through us).
- Coordination for move in.
Vancouver’s vacancies usually open 1 month in advance. About 1 month before your desired rental start date, we check accommodations with our landlord contacts. This takes about 1 week. We then compile a list of available units for your specific rental date.
We begin emailing options to applicants once an available unit list is compiled. You will receive a housing offer email with a confirmation deadline. We ask that you confirm as soon as possible as the rental market in Vancouver is very tight. Once approved by the landlord, you will be sent an email with payment amounts for the first month of rent and the security deposit.
- Roommates (if applicable)
- Rent amount
- Lease start date
- Landlord’s application (if applicable): unit number, rent, lease start date
VFS Housing provides no pre-accommodation services. Students are required to make their own arrangements upon arrival to Vancouver, and prior to the start of their tenancy date. Also, many attractions and events take place in Vancouver, so accommodations can quickly become unavailable. Students are recommended to book accommodations for any dates before their tenancy begins as soon as their arrival date in Vancouver is confirmed.
If you require housing, please let us know as soon as possible. Note that Housing Services are subject to availability. The earlier you inform us of your needs, the more options you can be provided.
Find a Roommate
This service is designed to help you to connect with other upcoming, current, and graduate students of VFS, to arrange shared accommodation.
VFS shall bear no liability for any risks associated with transactions that occur through the Roommate Board.
Each user of the Roommate Board bears full responsibility for determining the suitability of other users’ accommodation offers.
Although VFS screens accommodation postings to filter out questionable offers, it is important for students to be alert and take appropriate precautions.
Use caution and vigilance when dealing with prospective landlords as there are many scammers targeting renters in Vancouver. Please read through How to spot a scam for steps you can take to protect yourself before you start contacting prospective landlords or roommates through the Roommate Board.
- Never send money to a location outside of Vancouver
- If possible, you, or a friend, should physically view the property
- Make sure there is a physical address and check it on a map
- Make sure that you have all details of the individual providing the listing: where they work, full name, address, phone number, etc.
- Always ensure that you are going to be able to meet the landlord or manager of the property in person to receive the keys and inspect the apartment together
- Note that SIN, bank account, and credit card number are not required to rent an apartment
- When you receive a contract, please read the full text (and the fine print) carefully and be sure you understand it fully before you sign. VFS is not responsible for terms and conditions imposed by third-party services.
- Follow your instincts. Anything that seems too good to be true, probably is — and may be a scam.
- If you have any doubts or are unsure as to whether a posting is legitimate, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Housing Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
933 Hornby Street hornby
$1400 per month
No Smoking Allowed / Pets Okay
Homestay allows students to live with a local family while studying at VFS. Students can choose between private or shared rooms with access to Internet, TV, laundry and kitchen with meals included. Homestay families are a great way to experience local culture and adjust to the way of life.
- Meet Vancouverites and experience local culture first-hand.
- Share a meal with your hosts and taste authentic Canadian cuisine.
- Receive good value for money by having accommodation and meal options.
- Improve your language skills.
- Enjoy a real ‘home away from home’ experience.